Harman Kardon HD 970 CD Players

• Richly detailed sound
  • Multi-purpose machines

Submitted by Xavier Pintado a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2010

Bottom Line:
The Harman Kardon HD 970 represnets an impressive value for the money. The sound is very good and in particular the soundstage and the micro-resolution. Also very interesting is its capability to act as a DAC for external sources. I compared the its DAC section with a Benchmark DAC1 (a dedicated DAC considerably more expensive than the HD-970) and although the sound is slightly different I am not really sur it is in Benchmark's favour. Since the HD-970 has a fairly good DAC section I am using also the HD-970 as a high-resolution DAC for files streamed from my computer.
Congratulations to Harman Kardon for such a well balanced design.

Submitted by kurt1010 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2009

Bottom Line:
I`ve owned a HD970 cd-player for about three years now, but can`t say I`m quite satisfied. Have already repaired it once: the manufacturer had to change the electronic inside. But some time after service it still struggles to read cd`s, and sometimes it makes disturbing noises.

The sound quality is relatively good though, and the unit is well equipped, but the design and build quality is so poor, with cheap plastic all around, and to me it looks more like a 60 $ dvd-player sold from a grocery store, than a real hi-fi component. All in all I think the HD970 cd-player is an average cd-player even in the lower class. From this player I miss the heavy feeling of quality that the older Harman products had. Even my old HK DVD10 seems to be better built, and is actually close also when it comes to sound quality. Now I have changed to a Primare cd21 player, which is in a totally different league (of course).

Similar products used: Harman Kardon DVD10, JVC cd-player(older type), Primare CD21, Yamaha MDX-793, Sony SCD-640 QS

Submitted by mguarigu a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2009

Bottom Line:
Excellent reproductionn quality.

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by mszargar a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2007

Bottom Line:
This device plays Audio CDs, HDCDs and MP3s with an extraordinary quality. It has a extraordinary sound stage and reproduces the hi-range details significantly clearer and cleaner than any other cd-player I've ever used (mostly entry-level hifi products from Denon, NAD and Marantz), while staying at the same price range. When I stay at the center point between my Cresta 2 speakers, the sound system just disappears, and I feel the depth of sound stage this device is able to create. I am rediscovering all my old CDs, while waiting for a set of new RCA cables to see if I can solve the problem of too much treble. But anyway, the sound is lovely and well beyond the price you pay for it.

Submitted by matt thomas a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2007

Bottom Line:
I have just upgraded from a Marantz CD5000 to the HD970 and i can't believe what a difference its made, for £250 its a real bargain.My amp is the Marantz4001.
Before i was very dissatisfied with the sound,too tinny and lacking clarity, there wasn't enough power to get the best out of my AE505 floorstanders and they were easily distorted, but now there's a real weight behind the music and alot more detail and clarity.I would highly recommend this to anyone looking for an absolute bargain,a fantastic sound and it looks stunning.

Purchased At:   pixmania

harman kardon hk 970 + hd 970 + ???

Hello all. My system consists of hk 970 and hd 970 which are paired with jbl es 30 speakers and connected with cardas crosslink cables. In my 20 ( 5 x 4 ) they are placed near wider wall. i decided to change the jbls, because their sound paired with hk is a bit to agressive when I listen to electron ... Read More »

FGH 26: