Harman Kardon HD 710 CD Players

4.25/5 (16 Reviews) MSRP : $300.00

Submitted by redneck a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2010

Bottom Line:
stay away its a piece of junk if you like to play burnt cds foget it sounds harsh at higher volumes if you fart it will skip the older hk cd players are example 7325 or 7450 must say it is well built

Submitted by rednecknber a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2010

Bottom Line:
well built but does not like burnt cds i had a hk 7325 that was twice as good as this one and was older and played any thing you put in it

Submitted by _Fefe a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2004

Bottom Line:
I am posting a review again, I did it once more than two years ago. I recently purchased a pair of Dynaudio Contour 1.1 speakers (about ten times better and ten times more expensive than my previous Jamo boxes) and I was afraid that the CD player is going to turn out to be a weak point. And NO. Not even it didn't do so, but now I love it even much better than I previously did! It produces so natural and enjoyable sound that now I don't want to listen to any LPs until I get some really good turntable (my current turntable DID get much "worse" with the speaker change)
So, using a "10x magnifying glass" made things better, not worse.
Great piece of equipment for a very friendly price, I think.

Purchased At:   a second hand shop i

Submitted by Robert Seletsky a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2004

Bottom Line:
I submit this review simply to place my review of a newly acquired, miserable Harman Kardon HD-720 in perspective. I have had the HD-710 since 1996. It is a brilliant musical player. The sound is sweet but not rolled off to the point where it sounds dull. It is very transparent, with a huge, multi-dimensional, almost live-sounding soundstage for serious music (I am a professional classical musician). The sound is as good as the best analogue equipment. It is a copmplete joy in every respect. The build is sturdy--no plastic at all (except the surface of the CD drawer that actually contacts the CD, and it does virtually everything one would wish.

Very occasionally, it takes a while to recognize CDRs but it always does. At the time of its availability, HK was still obviously more concerned with audiophile-quality sound than consumerist convenience. Some of the operational details have been skimmed over: it can't scan tracks back from track 1, the remote will only work if it is very precisely pointed at the infra-red sensor--since they were obviously thinking that serious listeners don't care, the display can't be dimmed--only on and off (though the manual claims otherwise and all units are the same in this regard).

These tiny operating blips aside, this player musically, puts NAD, Cambridge Audio, Rotel, Adcom, etc. to shame.

Purchased At:   Cambridge Soundworks

Submitted by Fefe a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have bought this player used and without any serious listening because there were no quality speakers at the shop. When I took it home and turned it on, first I've noticed that the build quality is not perfect. But for the price it is good enough. Then I started to listen to it and realised that it sounds great! My system is not an expensive one (Jamo speakers and a Technics SU-8022 amp, maybe 20 years old, but it sounds much better than new Technics stuff). The whole system is light years away from being a perfect one, but I like its sound, and the H/K player was a really good choice for me. I really didn't like CDs before I had it, but H/K produces a really good sound from these low sampling rate discs. It sounds as good as analogue sources. I've bought it about two years ago and I still like its sound.

FGH 26: