Harman Kardon FL 8550 CD Players

3.03/5 (90 Reviews) MSRP : $549.00

Hraman Kardon HDCD 5-Disc Changer with Dual 20-bit burr brown DAC's

Submitted by Uki a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2014

Bottom Line:
Great sound!

Submitted by dave101010 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2005

Bottom Line:
I owned this cd player years ago, and I thought it sounded pretty good, that is until it stopped reading discs. Then I had to fight with Harmon for months to get me a new one, finally they sent me a 8350 and for some reason, probably because I called every morning for a month, I was also sent a check for the 350-With the money I was sent, I bought a california audio labs Cal Ikon2-with HDCD and upgrade. In comparison tests the Ikon sounded much better, in fact it was no contest...the 8350 they sent me sounded so bad, and 2 dimensional that I gave it to a friend. As typical low quality doo-doo that one buys from the "big box retailer" it does sound good. The Ikon sounded so much better it was amazing, and when I bought a BAT cd player, well, I now feel that I am finally hearing what music is supposed to sound like, and quite frankly the 8550 sounds quite sad. If you care at all about quality of sound, stay away from this stuff. Or if you have a digital out, get an inexpensive outboard processor.

Purchased At:   online store

Submitted by hershey22 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2005

Bottom Line:
I have to agree with Markymark on his take on this player. It definitely got a bad rap because of mechanical issues and deservedly so. However, if you can get your hands on a later production model of one of these units you will be thrilled with the sound quality and maybe even the performance. Mine has functioned flawlessly for over a year and I purchased it used.

Anything after April 1999 manufacture date is supposed to have the problems rectified. I have had some very high end players and this one is the best sounding unit I have ever owned!!

If you like very smooth, warm sound this is the player for you. Needs good vibration isolation and power conditionig to really make it a giant killer. A new power cord also helps!

If you can find one reasonable after April 1999 buy it but make sure it wasn't abused or in a smoking environment. I think you will be very pleased. It could break tommorow and it would be worth every penny of the sound it has provided me with. Awesome sound!!

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by markymark a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2005

Bottom Line:
I have had zero problems of any type concerning this unit, it must have built after HK handled earlier production problems. Lucky me.
This player/changer is a quality piece for the audio enthusiast. While it's true that there are a couple of reasons it may not satisfy all grey poupon-ish audiophiles (such as the lack of an anti-harmonic earth rotational-dampened 400 pound granite pedestal base), for most regular ol' music lovers it will probably be as fine a sounding CD unit as they may ever own. It has excellent DACs and great spec's. It's HDCD compatabile and fully programmable, with digital and analog outputs and a remote link input. Prices go down and technology advances each year, but less than outrageous priced CD decks have not really advanced much beyond this point.
To music lovers who are picky, but don't feel the need to spend a thousand or two or ten on a true audiophile CD player, I say: "If you find one for sale in good shape and at a decent price, buy it- you won't regret it."

Purchased At:   super retailer

Submitted by ronm1 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2003

Bottom Line:
Compared to other reviewer's product since I bought it, 8/2001, has performed fine. Understood when it was purchased that it would be a conpromise unit and while build quality is cheesy I have the coax out going to an external dac...sound has always been very good.

Purchased At:   Onecall