Harman Kardon FL 8370 CD Players

2.9/5 (10 Reviews) MSRP : $175.00

The FL 8370 5-disc CD changer features High Definition Compatible Digital (HDCD®) processing for the most realistic sound processing to date - from both HDCD and standard discs. Burr Brown digital processors preserve signal quality, and a wide variety of programming features make program material easy to access.

Submitted by timrhube a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bid on this changer because I wanted to try HDCD for cheap. I did this before checking the reviews posted here. After reading the reviews I thought it would be trouble. Well I am pleasantly surprised. The unit I received was in new condition and has worked flawlessly with very nice sound. Yes it searches the disk tray every time it is closed but it's not that annoying and it does it quietly. For the level of sound quality, good looks, and ease of use I think the 8370 is getting a bad rap. I have to give it five stars for my money.

Submitted by Jim Towery a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2002

Bottom Line:
I got the unit as a refurb from Harmanaudio.com, and it didn't work right out of the box. Same problem as the others had with disc recognition. My system is powered by an H/K AVR which is excellent so I thought this CD was a steal for the money, well it was a good deal for H/K, not for me! DON'T BUY ONE EVER, take it if it's free and display it to look cool, cause that's all it does well. I am sending it back today! I don't what I will get. I am leaning to Onkyo....

Purchased At:   Harmanaudio.com

Submitted by odor007 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
I reviewed this player a few weeks ago and after having a more knowledgeable experience with it I felt I should review it again. Well, the player doesn't work. I bought this item refurbished, so I can't believe that the Harman Kardon factory doesn't test items before sending them out--it broke within weeks of buying it. I tell it what discs to play, and it just skips over to the next tray position after trying to read the selected disc--it's almost as if there is no disc in the tray number I choose, but there is. Once in a while, after keeping it going in its never ending cycle, it will read a disc and play it, but this happens rarely and randomely. I have no control over the music I listen to. I am going to return it and buy a new FL 8380, because the older refurbished stuff doesn't seem to be working out. I'll review this new player when I get it--hopefully it will work.s

Purchased At:   www.harmanaudio.com

Submitted by Hart a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2002

Bottom Line:
Overall, this player is a great deal. For only $150, considering it decodes HDCD, that it looks great, and that it's easy to use, I am very happy. If I could change anything about it I would have to say that the clunky, noisy, slow loading tray has to be changed, but whatever. Although many people say HDCD makes a huge difference, I can't tell too much of one. The sound is definitely better, and the vocals sound like they are in the room with you, but it won't blow you away or anything, it's just slightly better. For more information on hdcd, go to www.hdcd.com. Basically all HDCD does is decode CD's that were recorded with 20 bits of information on the disc rather than the standard 16 bits. The problem is that HDCD's are very rare. I'm waiting for sometime in the future when 32 bits can be decoded. In sum, I like this player a lot, and am glad I own the latest in audio reproduction--HDCD.

Purchased At:   www.harmanaudio.com

Submitted by Travis a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2002

Bottom Line:
The Burr Brown DAC and HDCD decoding filter make this a step up from your typical hard, brittle sounding 1-bit DAC machines. Definitely far better sounding than anything else you can find for around $100. HDCD discs absolutely sing, making you realize that traditional compact disc definitely does not represent "perfect sound." (uBid, doesn't seem to have these anymore, but H/K has an "outlet" web site where its HDCD players are available at a steep discount.)
On the downside, yes, the changer really does suck. If you're after the capability to quickly and easily change between various discs this will drive you to distraction. The stupid thing clunks around for seemingly hours to find the track you want. Also, the all-disc random play mode is designed to play two tracks from each disc before changing to the next disc, weird!
I have not had any of the reliability issues with my 8370 others have reported. Still, I've seen such reports several places, so I don't doubt that many people have had problems. My advice is to buy a refurbished unit as the initial problem was probably found at the factory and repaired before shipment. This is my case and like I said, I've had no problems whatsoever.
Overall, if you're looking for good quality sound at a great price, and don't mind putting up with a clunky changer mechanism, you will not be disappointed. This is by far the best sounding CD player you're going to find for around $100.

Purchased At:   uBid