Harman Kardon FL 8300 CD Players

3.16/5 (88 Reviews) MSRP : $330.00

Submitted by tom a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2017

Bottom Line:
As a casual listener, tried tp put in Christmas cd's for the holidays, all 5 the changer would not close without manual help. Secondly, it wouldn't play any of the cd's and kept coming up with an "error" code". After some time trying to figure out why, and switching the cd's around I tried playing them one at a time and had success playing disc 5, the next day, error code again. When I first bought the thing it worked fine, but now.... I'm ready to throw it out even though it has hardly been used and is part of my HK sound system.

Submitted by Llewellyn a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2014

Bottom Line:
Hey, Bob Corey, if you're still around, what is that tray modification you made? I bought mine in 1998 from Circuit City for $265 and it's still a wonderful CD player. The tray jerks a tadd coming out, a CD will jostle out of its place on occasion and it will read "no CD' on occasion. Yes, the ergonomics should be better. Everything else works fine and the sound is great through my Yamaha CR-820 55 watt receiver and Dahlquist DQM-5 speakers with factory rebuilt woofers and new upgraded poly caps soldered in. It's in the shop now getting new load belts, cleaned, lubed and aligned; only the second general service in 16 yrs.

Submitted by axlegrease a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2003

Bottom Line:
I don't remember the price paid. I won't bother repeating what the other reviewers have said, so suffice it to say that the sound is great, nice features for the price, the ergonomics are poor, but the death nail lies in the poor... or rather piece of cr*p... mechanical reliability of the tray & loading mechanisms. I plan on gutting it tonight in a last ditch effort at repair to keep it going another 6 months, so I have sufficient time to select a replacement free of such anguish. (Why do I do this to myself?) Oh... and for those of you experiencing power problems, if you see the way the face attaches to the internal circuitry, you'd know why... junk, junk, junk, and quite a challenge disassemble for repair purposes, hence the wait times for those of you dissapointed with the aftermarket service...

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2002

Bottom Line:
WITHOUT READING THE REVIEWS, I FOUND THE FOLLOWING PROBLEMS WITH MINE. FIRST, OCCASIONALLY, THE UNIT WILL NOT RECOGNIZE A DISC, USUALLY DISC 3. SECOND, THAT DISC SKIP BUTTON IS IN A HORSE SH*T SPOT. THIRD, I THINK THE SPINNING OF THE CAROUSAL OCCURS WHEN YOU PRESS THE DISC SKIP BUTTON MORE THAN 1 TIME. FOURTH, I THINK THE UNIT SKIPS TRACKS ON THE CD THAT I AM PLAYING, EVEN THOUGH I DO NOT PROGRAM IT (UNLESS I AM ACCIDENTALLY PROGRAMMING IT). FINALLY, I BOUGHT IT IN JUNE OF 1997, AS A "DEMO",AND IT HAS PERFORMED RELATIVELY WELL, GIVEN THE IRRITATING PROBLEMS LISTED ABOVE.

Purchased At:   american

Submitted by Ravi a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have had this for over 4 years and never any problems. It has been moved around so many times and yet it seems to be in good condition. The crystal clear sound that comes out of this baby is worth every dollar I paid for it. It is so easy to make out the difference between the sound of this player and that of other players. I feel terrible about the bad review this has got from some people, but it sure seems like a Quality Control problem at HK. Some are good, some are bad. That does make me nervous about buying another HK product but on the other hand, for $150, this beats the c*** out of any other CD player

Purchased At:   Ubid