Denon DP-S1 CD Players

Submitted by RRGeels a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2003

Bottom Line:
This review is not about the DP-S1, but about the DCD-S1. I wanted to place a review about the DCD-S1, but there is no DCD-S1 at www.audioreview.com. The basic concept of the DCD-S1 is from the reference DP-S1.

My first Denon experience dated back to the year 1992 when my brother bought Denon components. When he played music on his set, I immidiatly noticed sound quality, clearancy and overall performance. I always knew that in the future I would own a good quality set of components, only I didn't know which brand to choose. So in 1992 my brother set my more or less into the Denon brand.

I have been collected Denon brochures from 1992 till now on, and know the continuous divelopment and philosophy. My interrest in the S-serie was born when I collected the 1996 brochure from my hifi-shop. I read the articles of the components, looked at the pictures, diagrams, specifications and thought I want to own some of these components! From that year till 2001 I saved money to buy an amplifier and a cd-player from the S10-serie. I called my dealer to send me a special brochure about the S-serie. Then I read about Denon's Lambda SLC (Super Linear Converter) and ALPHA-processor. Step by step I knew more and more about the technics. I know Denon is one of the best cd-player manufacturers in the world and placed some milestones in the world of digital audio.

In the year 2001 I called my hifi-shop and asked about the PMA-S10mk2 amplifier and the DCD-S10mk2 cd-player. It seemed that it was selled out and couldn't be ordered any more. The whole S-serie was going to end. My dealer could get my an PMA-S10mk2 which was a demo and a new DCD-1550 (now Denon's top model). I also asked about the DCD-S1 (I couldn't afford this component) but my dealer made me an offer: a demo PMA-S1 and a demo DCD-S1 together for half the price! This was bescause that were almost the last S1-components in the shop. My hifi-dealer was going to set up the S1-components in the listeningroom and I was going to come the next day for a listening experience. The nex day, I entered the listeningroom and looked for the first time at the S1-components, which I only knew from pictures in brochures. I immidiatly noticed the heavy duty quality high-end components. The finish-off and materials used to make the outside is made of average 6 mm thick extruded aluminum. The frontplate is in "gold" colour and 10 mm thick. There are no sharp corners anywere, every corner or edge has a round shape. The layout of the cd-player is of the top-loading-type mechanism that harks back to days of turntables, analog records and the first cd-players in the '80. I started a cd, and immidiatly noticed the clearity and natural smoothness of the sound. I turned the volume on the PMA-S1 a bit further up and noticed a well balanced, very high natural, smooth, live alike and steady high-end sound wich I had never heard before. This is what I want, what I dreamed about... I'm done this is it! The salesman entered the room after 5 minutes and we went into conversation. We talked about some technical terms, Denon's philosophy, etc. The PMA-S10mk2 and the DCD-1550 were also connected and listened to. I didn't noticed substantial difference with the second set. But I knew there were differences and that it would be noticed by listening a longer time. I maked up my dissision, couldn't afford S1-serie, and bought the PMA-S10mk2 and the DCD-1550. With this option I hade an amount of money spare to start saving for new speakers.

After a couple of weeks enjoyable listening at home, unfortunally with my old "common-brand " speakers, I noticed differene in performance in contrast to the listening experience with the S1-components in the hifi-shop. I knew the difference in music quality/presence and high-end, professional approach of the S1-serie in contrast to the PMA-S10mk2 and the DCD-1550. I couldn't get the thought out of my head having the S1-components, for half the normal price and I knew I would regret it for the rest of my live if I didn't buy the S1-components. I walked to the shop and saw the components placed in the showroom, and I was still thinking to buy them, but the next week they were gone. A half year later I bought new speakers: KEF Reference model 3.2. The very last in the hifi-shop which I layed hands. Another half year later in 2002 my brother saw another PMA-S1 and DCD-S1 in the hifi-shop and noticed me. It were the very last ones the shop had layed hands on and were half the normal price. I knew the specifications and soundquality from the listening experience the year before. I had saved some money for a half year and bought the S1-components. I sold the PMA-S10mk2 to he shop and the DCD-1550 went to my brother.

Purchased At:   local hifi-shop