Denon DCM-460 CD Players

3.83/5 (58 Reviews) MSRP : $450.00

Fi ve disc changer

Submitted by Betsy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2013

Bottom Line:
I actually have a Denon dcm 560, but wanted to add to the reviews on this product (which I'm assuming is basically the same as the 460 since they share an owner's manual). Mine just started skipping a bit after 12 happy years of use. I took some advice from the internet, and cleaned off the lens eye and keeping my fingers crossed, it's sounding great now! Love this CD player--it was my first big purchase (along with receiver and speakers) after a divorce, and have to say--the best one I made!

Submitted by Trojan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2011

Bottom Line:
I bought new and paid retail less about 15% for this unit and chose it becasue it was a model or two above by dads, and it seemed much better built than the Yamahas and Marantz available for similar money. Many years later it still operates without any dramas, and I use it pretty much every day, for hours, and sometimes it gets left on for months, and sometimes I'll accidently leave it on pause or repeat for days, and I sometimes leave it playing overnight. I have dropped mine from about 2 foot off the ground on its side onto a carpet floor in the course of moving 10 times over the years, the DCD-460 didn't care at all. The "favourite track" memory is such a great feature and it remembers cd's I programmed for when I just bought the thing. Sound quality is well balanced for a 5 changer, plenty of detail but smooth enough to listen to all day, like a 5 changer should be. Put proper headphones on (AKG 701's) and there is all the detail you'll ever need. Without exaggeration mine had probably done 30,000 hours of playing cd's with about 90,000 hours of being turned on, has never had a service, and is still going pefectly.

Issues: Never physically jammed on me but it has actually frozen up, as in a computer crash style, 2 or 3 times over the years, and sometimes, maybe 15 times over the years, it doesn't quite read a newly loaded cd and gets a bit confused. Yes it is clunky, and mine has transport noise at lower speeds when reading from the outer edges of long cd's. Big deal. The fast forward button on the remote is not functional, but I did abuse it. The power cable is a little bit flimsey. Has a plastic chassis, so not designed to place heavy components on top. Headphone volume control is not very well built. Very minor issues overall.

Anyone complaining about poor sound quality or lack of detail should upgrade their speakers or dampen their listening environment before pointing the finger at their Denon DCD-460. Whiles there are better quality players out there this is well and truely a proper HiFi cd player suitable for extended listening with exceptional reliability.

Submitted by Kiwiphob a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2010

Bottom Line:
Reading some of the poor reviews inspired me to join Audioreview. I quite happily admit to not being an Audiophile but someone who enjoys listening to good music, so the gear I select is hopefully a happy median and I am pleased to say the DCM 460 has not disappointed. I have owned this from new for close to 15 yeas and it has never missed a beat, reliability personified, must be lucky I guess going by some of the reviews. When I first purchased I auditioned this unit against players from Arcam and Yamaha and it left them for dead in terms of natural sound and smoothness of delivery. If some reviewers think Denon is Bright, try listening to Yamaha, then you'll truely hear bright. I have a personal perference for Vocals and enjoy some of the earlier Terence Trent-Darby like I'll Be Alright from Neither Fish nor Flesh, Annie Lennox's Whiter Shade of Pale and Something So Right. Other favs like any form of Coldplay or Malcom Mclaren's Paris are delivered with ease along with The Stranglers Aural Sculpture, and all Grace Jones. Typical easy listening stuff such as Noran Jones is a breeze. The DCM 460 delivers all of this with such a natural and pure manner you'd swear they were performing in your lounge which is what I'm after and for the money I can't fault this player. I only gave it a 4 for Overall Rating as I am realistic and am sure the high end audiophile stuff is better.
However, to get the desired listening experience I did make sure I used Speakers that also matched by listening style and have a preference for the Danes with a set of 12 year old Jamo 707's and a new set of Dynaudio Audience 82's. Mated with these speakers I simply can't fault the sound. Possibly some of the rough reviews such as 'Bright' & 'Grudgy' may just be a mismatch of gear as, whilst not an Audiophile, I do realise everything needs to work together and every listener has a personal preference, for me it all WORKS.

Only real fault as mentioned by others is the tray and change mechanism is a bit clunky. But who cares, it's only between CD's and I don't really use the shuffle options.

Would I recommend the DCM 460, 100%.

Submitted by Rich Jacobson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2010

Bottom Line:
I purchased this on clearnace some years ago and have been extremely satisfiedwith all aspects of it's operation ever since. Most notably, its reliable and skip free performance and excellent sound quality. My opinion was enhanced when my 8 year son recently smashed into the unit when I had the carrousel out. It wouldn't close and I thought the unit was a goner and then I decded to open it up andtry and force the tray back into its track. It worked and now, believe it or not, the unit continues to work flawlessly except for a slightly differet sound from the corrousel mechanism- which i'll gladly put up with. I have had many other CD changers over the unit and sooner or later they all develop optical reading problems. Not this one and I'll stick with it and give it top marks for its solid construction and performance. A winner!

Submitted by Jim Chestney a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2009

Bottom Line:
I picked up a Denon DCM-460 5CD Changer at a second-hand store a week ago. I paid $9.95 for it. I had no idea if it even worked. But I own 2 Denon receiver/amps, and knowing what great quality they are, how could I miss for 10 bucks? I cleaned the CD Laser with a Maxell cleaning disc, put on DejaVu (CSN+Y), plugged in my SennHeimer headphones, and "Viola !!" The 10-buck Denon makes my $260 Onkyo sound like crud. I'm so thankful that the reviews say that the Denon DCM-460 is 'junk'. Otherwise, the thrift shop might have charged me $50 bucks (which YOU should pay gladly if you see one around).

Atlantic Technology: