Denon DCD-1550AR CD Players

4.57/5 (7 Reviews)

DCD-1550 "Alpha Reference" cd-player

Submitted by a246119 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2002

Bottom Line:
1 bought this player 2e hand for about $125, in perfect state, it sounds ok, nothing's standing out, it just sounds ok.

Purchased At:   -

Submitted by Carlo83 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
I'm completely satisfacted with this CD player. It's particulary good-looking, "handsome" and it has an intriguing design: the exquisite aluminium front panel (in gold) and its heavy-weight (7.4 Kg) contribute to make it fashionable. It appears to embody the kinds of engineering prowess and integrity that are more common at higher price-levels. I've had a look internally, and I've to say that it has features to satisfy the gadget freak (and the audiophile alike):two Burr Brown PCM61P (18bit)in conjunction with discrete two-bit converters that use Lambda Super Linear topology, so it operates up to 20-bit precision thanks to the exclusive Alpha processor; very good condensators (in excellent quantity) Elna Silmic, all discrete components, separate digital and analogue sections, a sturdy loading mechanism (positioned at the center of the unit) highly resistant to vibrations.
Regarding audio pereformance, I've noted excellent bass extension (expecially with electronic,disco,pop music), also a quite focused and heavy-hended bass (it has more bass then all previously owned and listended CD player); the midrange is very natural and balanced, if not maniacly accurate, but tight, very coherent and precise. The highs are sweet and linear, soft, smooth and not unpleasant, harsh or overtly "digital" at all! Soundstaging is superb, (thanks also to my fantastic KEF Q series...) the different instruments are all in their right places and I can imaging the stage perfectly.IN general there is a sense of rightness all over the frequencies, and there is not any coloration introduced in the sound, only the context of the cd is reproduced in a quiet, manner, but when it wants, with the right kick!(the percussions are superb)! I completely agree with Kenneth Skog and Leon Toepoel about the fact that bad and raw recordings sound unpleasant and a bit harsh, the highs and mids can become a pain to listen to at high volumes for many hours, but this is coused by the tendence of this player to project all is inside the cds, either bad or good things...
It can menage very well all kind of music but it is fantastic with melodic rock (with not many instruments = Led Zeppelin, Deep Puprle, Santana, ecc, pop music (all different varieties), techno, jazz, blues (great with these three last), but also complex orchestral and vocal materials are handled with aplomb everywhere

Purchased At:   Lyrics audio

Submitted by Karsten Vinding a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2001

Bottom Line:
I remember being on the lookout for a Marants CD63e gold edition (or something like that), and was pretty much set on that, when the dealer asked me to listen to the Denon. On the same speakers and same amplifier it blew the Marants away. Much more crisp sound, and the bas was more detailed. It sounded like a carpet was removed from the speakers.

Even though it was almost 500 dKr (about 63$) more than what I had thought about spending, I ended up with this player.

It is very solidly build, and gets rather warm when playing for many hours. The sound gets markedly better when the player gets warm.

The electronics inside look well organized and to be of a good quality (im an electronics technician), and the whole player has a good feel to it.

The track selector on the front is not as easy to use as on other products with a knob.

Purchased At:   Hifi-Klubben

Submitted by Leon Toepoel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is truly a fantastic CD-player. I won't (can't) tell much about it; you have to HEAR it play.
But be carefull; bad recordings sound terrible on this machine. On the other hand good rcordings sound like "heaven", including every little detail.

Submitted by Markus Adler a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2000

Bottom Line:
When I made the decision to buy a CD Player I was looking for a model around 1,000 DM. My dealer recommended me some models like the Marantz CD 6000ose and the Rotel RCD 971. Because I already own a Minidisc Player from Denon`s Gold range (the DMD-1000), it decided to give the CD-Player (DCD-1550 AR) of this range a listen as well. When I first started to compare the players I realised that the Marantz and the Rotel sounded similar. Because I was quiet unhappy with the handling of the Rotel (the knobs didn't react when I touched them not right in middle) I stopped listening to the Rotel and only went on comparing the Marantz and the Denon. After half an hour listening to them I prefered the Marantz for its smooth sound while listening to classical pieces (like the suite of Peter Tchaikovski's "Nutcracker") and the Denon for its extend bass resolution and the right "kick" you need when you are listening to pop music(like Smash Mouth's "All Star"). Because I listen much more to pop music than to classical music I was finally focused on the Denon DCD-1550 AR. My dealer suggested me to listen also to the Denon DCD-1450 AR before I buy the DCD-1550 AR, so I did. The DCD-1450 AR has the same look as its bigger brother and costs about 300 DM less. When I compared those two players I must say that the difference between them was not very big, but I think that the DCD-1550 AR plays the music a bit more detailed than the DCD-1450 AR.

The look (a beautiful gold finish) and build quality (front aluminium panel; solid metal body) of this player is outstanding and the track access faster than you'd expect!

I would recommend the DCD-1550 AR to those which are listening more to pop music, jazz, rock and soundtracks. If you are only listening to classical music I would suggest you to look for another player.

Overall, this player manages to sound fantastic and enthusiastic in many different music styles so that I must admit that this player won't be the last of this manufacturer. Now I'm looking for a new amp - I think I should listen to the Denon PMA-1500 R.