Conrad-Johnson DR1-DA2B CD Players

Transport and DAC

Submitted by Mr.Zdur a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2011

Bottom Line:
This review pertains to just the DA2B because I don't have the transport. It seems that all of the reviews out there that discuss this team's weaknesses show that the transport is not that great. I use the DA2B with an Apple TV. I have used it with a Squeezebox in the past (what a POS!); I have a library of about 70K songs all in MP3 format. I also feed this DAC CDs from a DVD/Blueray player.

Anyhoo, this DAC has 20 bit (I think) converters and the output stage is powered by tubes. This one originally came with NOS GE tubes but I have replaced them with Mullards. This is a really nice sounding DAC. I have a pretty high resolution system (all class A) with 104 dB/Watt speakers. You can basically hear anything in the recording. This DAC, even though it is old, still is a wonderful performer. I don't feel like I am being held back at all. Highs are crisp, lows are deep, mids are rich and warm. There is lots of air and separation. It is particularly nice with well produced material. I like to listen to Jazz, Calssical, electronic music, and indie rock with this setup.

I highly recommend this DAC because it is extremely well built and easy to listen to.

Submitted by Michael a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2001

Bottom Line:
I only purchased the DR-1 transport. I am very happy with the sound of it. I experience no fatigue listening. You can notice the CJ musical touch, even if your D/A is not a tube piece.

Submitted by Cary Scheck a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 19, 1999

Bottom Line:
Mellow and sweet. No CD player is worth this price... but we're really close.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile