Carver Audio SD/A-360 CD Changer CD Players

4.56/5 (9 Reviews) MSRP : $599.00

Dual 1-bit D/A converters, 3-beam laser pickup, 5 disc changer

Submitted by Timxtreme a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought this Carver SD/A 360 to replace a Teac cd changer D1200 that had terrific specs but sounded very tinny. I LOVE THE SOUND of the Carver. I only wish I could have afforded the 390t tube Carver.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by mark a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is for the sd/a-450 since there is no listing for it. I've owned this player since 1991 and have had no problems with it.The sound remains clear and strong.The feature that initially drew me to this player was the soft eq(digital time lens).This still comes in handy when playing older cds which were poorly mastered from tapes originally intended for lps.It really does help.Of course with the newer material the soft eq isn't needed.Although cdrs weren't even heard of when this player was built,it has no trouble playing them.Hccds weren't out either , but if tou have that decoding downstream,tou could use the digital out and process it that way i suppose. Overall an excellent sounding and durable cd player.

Purchased At:   state st.discount

Submitted by Matt a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2001

Bottom Line:
I just love the sound of this strong performer, I was just looking up my gear in the site and just had to review this little beauty.

I've had this thing for like 6 years or so and had to clean it once...I cannot believe the durability of the transport and laser assembly. As for the sound, I used the analog outputs for many years and now with my new Marantz AV-9000 I can use the optical output. I can't say I'd ever get rid of this unit. Great sound, durability, and Carver...what more could you ask for!

Get your Carver stuff fixed at www.carverservice.com

I have a C-20v for sale along with a AV-405, great dolby pro-logic system for a steal! Email me.

Purchased At:   AV company in Mpls

Submitted by Jeffrey Kerwin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2000

Bottom Line:
I acquired the SD/A 360 via used market and I must say that I have been very impressed so far with the unit. I have the player going throught a Carver ct-17 preamp and two bridged Carver m1.5t amps and the sound is very crisp and clear. The imaging is detailed enough for even a hack like me to be impressed. I have even noticed that when I get the watts and db's up to 30% of their maximum, and mind you this is a 1300 watt system that the sensitivity is very firm. I play a variety of musical styles through the Carver and have been impressed enough to recommend to anyone who might be interested.

Submitted by mike stehr a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have a 490t single disc player. Players I've had in my life:'86 sony d2 discman, Then a '89 denon 10 disc changer,Used both in the home off and on over the years.So you could understand the night and day difference when I bought the carver home player for 200 bucks at a hock shop and hooked it up.More volume level. Warmer full sound.(tube Output).No harshness like some other cheaper players with solid state outputs.I have'nt heard any 4 digit priced cd players to compare it with,But I'm sure these carver players are comparable with the spendier units.Its the best player I have ever heard,Thats me though.Look at the features,Fixed out,variable out,two digital outs, all the goodies a audiophile priced cd player has.It could probably be a tweakers dream project!Was warned about tube upgrades though.Emailed a place in Everett Wa.(Last of carver),Still does service,Guy said stick with yugo 6dj8 tubes.Players come in with burnt tubes because they were not yugo 6dj8's.Love to know why,Especially when there is many better upgrades for the yogu 6dj8.Would like to hear it through a all tube system.I'm keeping it going as long as I can.You find one used...Buy it,Its a bargain.Use Yamaha c70 pre-amp,m70 power amp,ax-592 integrated,and a nad 2100 bridged for a sub.Wished they still made them too.Or a Outboard d.a converter.5 stars.Made in feb.1991 I've tortured it for 4 years and plan to for many more.

Atlantic Technology :