Cambridge Audio CD740 CD Players

2.5/5 (2 Reviews) MSRP : $400.00

The SoundWorks 740 uses high performance speakers that are combined with a special contoured amplifier to produce rich, natural, accurate sound. Because of their wide dispersion pattern, these speakers make the 740 sound much bigger than most table radios. Close your eyes, and you'll think your listening to a much bigger system.

Submitted by bensage a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2008

Bottom Line:
I don't understand why no one makes a decent clock radio these days! I looked long and hard for a decent radio with two alarms and a CD player. I am sorry I bought this. The sound is very muddy. I get better sound from my 10 year old Proton (no CD player). The clock looses time each month. However, he worst part is the ergonomics. This unit was designed by an someone who never actually tested it!
The various function buttons are impossible to see in the dark. In daylight they all look identical and the labels are in micro-print white on silver! The headphone jack is recessed under the control panel in a way that you have to pick the unit up to put the phones in or take them out! Lastly the AM receiver gets only one station in a city with dozens???? This radio is terrible!

Purchased At:   factory direct

Submitted by meax a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2006

Bottom Line:
It seems reviewers of this item fall into two camps... love it or hate it. Maybe three... there are those who would like to love it. Maybee three camps... add those who would like to love it.
I love it. I've had two, one new from eBay, one direct from Creative. Both worked fine right out of the box. The sound quality is excellent, especially on the second unit. I use it mainly to receive NPR, play CDs and run the laptop MP3s into the aux input.
Until I spilled liquid into the CD drive (doh!) I had no problem playing factory CDs or homemade MP3 CDs. I emailed Creative to see if they would sell me a replacement CD drive but they refused saying it was a liability and I would have to send it back for repair. Instead I bought another and put the first on top of the DVD/VCR/TV stand. The 740 eliminated a mess of wire, a stereo amp and two floor speakers which I do not miss in the least.
The first unit actually produced TOO MUCH bass. I had to run the bass at -4 and the treble at +4. A 10 watt 5 ohm resistor in soldered series with the driver cured that. Creative seems to agree, as on the second unit they padded down the lows. I can run the bass on 0 now and even use the loudness setting.
I agree that the radio section could be much improved. There is a lot of self-induced interstation noise on FM. Nonetheless, I am in a fringe area (30 miles+) and STILL filled 9 FM presets with stations of very satisfactory reception. Putting the unit into mono improves noisy FM and if you aren't sitting directly in front of the unit you will never miss the stereo. People who complain that the unit will not remember mono and tone settings are not saving their changes into the memory presets. Personally, I would trade the ability to save presets for a nice analog receiver section with a tuning knob.
The clock loses time, but a tap or two on the + button once a week fixes that easily enough. I have to agree, though, that there is no reason for clocks to lose time nowadays, and this IS a clock radio... right, Creative?
Last night I played CDs of Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots and Alice in Chains and it really kicked butt with tight bass and very respectable volume. I just listened to Strawberry Wine on the FM and it sounded full and sweet. All the news people on NPR sound very natural. Being fairly portable, I can get quick sound with the laptop anywhere there is power. I definitely like having the controls on the unit and not having to use the remote exclusively.
Overall, I am quite impressed with the audio quality, features and sound-to-size ratio of the 740 and I would highly recommend it.

Purchased At:   eBay and Cambridge