Cambridge Audio Azur 640C CD Players

3.98/5 (60 Reviews) MSRP : $529.00

Wolfson WM8740 24-bit/192kHz DAC, 117dB S/N ratio -88dB THD, low jitter clock with data reclocking, separate power supply for DAC, custom Cambridge Audio servo solution, co-axial and optical digital outputs, proven Sony laser optics, custom Cambridge Audio transport, low-resonance and acoustically damped chassis, all-metal casework with a solid aluminium front panel, slim-line Azur remote control with aluminium top panel

Submitted by twc644 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2012

Bottom Line:
Sounds ok in stock form.I opened mine up and was shocked at the site of cheap deplorable Chinese capacitors Cambridge loaded on the main,dac,and servo board.Well,I replaced over 90% of the capacitors with much better quality brands.The player now sounds like it should in my opinion Bass is much tighter and smoother.Treble is cleaner and emits more micro detail from recordings.It's really worth the effort to do this with this model cd player due to the dual Wolfson dacs.It has so much more potential now.I'm happy with it and not to mention I increased it's lifespan as well with all the low esr higher ripple caps installed as the circuits are more stable and simply sounds leaps and bounds better.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by MsJ. a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2011

Bottom Line:
Azur 340 cd player, laser not working after 4years, not often used so looking for a replacement to add to tuner and amp, any suggestions on a cd player that would go with tuner and amp. What brands and good price range. Not confident with Cambridge being faulty after minimal use. Melbourne Australia. jaoc8@hotmail.com

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by bossk538 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2011

Bottom Line:
I was very pleased with the sound - very detailed and clean, with no harshness or otherwise grating high ends, and would give this model the highest rating for value and be 110% satisfied if not for the pesky detail of "product reliability." I would expect the unit to have a lifespan of more than 4 years; instead it simply stopped playing mid-disc (disc appears to be playing fine, but no audio output). Moreover, it has had intermittent problems earlier: about 2 years ago, the pause button would cause the display to read "CLOSE" and the unit would not accept any further controls until the disc was ejected. This lasted about a year before working correctly again. During the past several months, play would do the same thing roughly half the times the play button was pressed.

This is the second Cambridge Audio component that I was initially very pleased to own, but failed within a few years (the first being an integrated amp). I would not buy any other components from CA until they can get their act together and start manufacturing reliable components again.

Submitted by Erik1973 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2009

Bottom Line:
I got the Cambridge Audio 640 v2 range (Amplifier, CD player, DAB radio) together with the Bowers & Wilkins 684 speakers, cables, delivery, and Danish taxes (*sigh*) for almost 15000 DKK (ca. 2000 eur, 3000 usd).

It was the best system for that money that I could find, after having visited quite a few stores here in Copenhagen with CDs I know well (containing mostly classical music), and having spent quite a bit of time listening, also with friends. I did find better systems, but the cheapest of those was 6000 DKK (800 eur, 1200 usd) more expensive, which exceeded my budget.

What I can say is that I am exceedingly happy with this system. I've had no problems whatsoever, and with the music I tend to play on it, and in my room, the system simply sounds superb!

At the same time, I feel that there are such large differences between systems, and in particular, that there are such dependencies on the music one tends to listen to, that anyone who considers buying a system should forget all they've read, and go out and listen to many types of systems themselves, figure out what they get for what price, and figure out what kind of price and performance make sense for *them*.

However, that said, I have been a bit disappointed not with the sound, but the usability of the products. With 3 boxes (Amp, CD player, DAB radio), I got 3 remote controls, where I would have preferred one. For the CD player, seeking (continuous forward or backward), isn't nearly as nice to use as on the el-cheapo Sony I bought over 10 years ago. The blue power leds are switched on both on standby and when they're actually switched on (different intensities, though, but couldn't they be SWITCHED OFF when I put the system on standby?). And then there are completely useless features such as *dimming* the lights from the remote control. Please take a few lessons from Apple regarding simplicity, and easy of use, would you?

But concerning the sound, I am totally totally totally satisfied. As I said, I selected this system on sound, and *cough* price. When it comes to that, it's as simple as that: I got the very best system I could find for a price I could live with. And my music collection lives like it has never lived before. I love this system.

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by Christopher.w a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2009

Bottom Line:
Hi, I just bought Cambridge Audio 840A & Cambridge Audio 840C from this store : http://stores.ebay.com.au/Perfect-Sound-Audio a few weeks ago, this shop offer good price with good product & service. I am very satisfied with the product performance, it’s value for money and high quality of product. It's highly recommended product.

Product model year:   2008

Cambridge Audio Azur 640c v2

Anyone own this cd player ? Man,changing out all the junk Chinese capacitors on the main board with dual Wolfson dacs and the servo board yielded fantastic results soundwise. I used Rubycon zl series(been using these for years),Elna Silmic II,Panasonic fm,Nichicon Muse, and Kimber film caps.Really ... Read More »

NAD C542 v Cambridge Audio Azur 640C V2 for NAD 320BEE and B&W602s3?

hello guys! after months of contemplation on the best speaker and amp to replace my old wharfy 8.2s and yamaha, i finally bought the B&W 602s3 and the NAD 320BEE. I am now contemplating which cd player is best for my new set-up. So far, my choices has been narrowed to two - the NAD C542 v Cam ... Read More »

CA azur 640c or marantz cd 600ose or nad c542

Which one would you choose ? Music taste: Jazz, Blues, classic rock like Pink Floyd, dire straits, Steely Dan, hugo masakela, some classical, female jazz artists like Diana krall. Amp: Nad separates Speakers: dynaudio audience 82. I like a very analogue sound which is punchy, dynamic and natural ... Read More »

Anyone interested in my Brand New Cambridge Audio Azur 640C CD Player

If anyone is interested in my brand new Cambridge Audio Azur 640C CD player (specs below) with remote, manual and all, which retailed for $529 plus tax which I'll give you alot cheaper, please let me know right away before I list it on Ebay. It looks beautiful and sounds great but I don't notice an ... Read More »

More March Madness Got Cambridge Audio Azur 640C CD Player

My latest act of March Madness, I got the Cambridge Audio Azur 640C CD player online, new from a company, decibelaudio.com, at a very good price, $449 including free shipping and no sales tax. They also sold me a bunch of audioquest cables at a discount as well. After make several inquries to di ... Read More »