Cambridge Audio CD6
Description: (See reviews)

Submitted by Andrea Zenguru a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2009

Bottom Line:
Hi everyone!
I bought the CD6 used for 150 Euro last day and I had opened It immediately.
I find that the electronic components have an high quality but the chassi is very thin, It can be deformed
easily, and can be cause of resonances so I suggest a damping treatment inside, in fact, the shock caused by transportation of my CD6 was enough to send out of phase the mechanics, that cause a strong track skipping so I had lost a lot of time to restore the right mechanic setup :-(

What about the sound... Personaly I find It too dry, the musicians doesn't seem to me on the same stage but in
separate rooms, I prefer a sound less analytic and sharp but mor dynamic, soft, rounded and warm, but is my personal preference!... to be onest this kind of sound have a very strength point; It never tired You in
the long listening sessions.

Andrea, Italy

P.S.: If someone have user manual, schematics or documents in electronic format about CD6 can kindly sand
it to me at this mail address? zenguru10@libero.it
Thanks everyone!

Andrea

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by sprensenbuhl a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2004

Bottom Line:
used the cambridge cd6, tuner d-500 and amplifier a3i, the source van del hul interconnects, duetto cable wires and musical fidelity x-act dac. i`d say everything is clearer and more detailed compared to my musical fidelity E set it even has more bass power

Purchased At:   vienna,'austria

Submitted by albertab a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2003

Bottom Line:
I use the CD6 in a secondary system.
In my main system, I use a Copland CDA-266.
The CD6 is extraordinary competent for the price. Not neutral, but colored in the good way: always, always musical.
Highly recommended!

Submitted by Dominic Pedley a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought this player as a replacement for an elderly Marantz which was past its best. The CD6 used to be part of my hi-fi system, along side Arcam components, but I sold the Arcam system when having my studio built (I am a musician). The CD6 now serves as a transport in combination with a Audionote DAC to monitor my recordings and mastered mixes.

Purchased At:   Richer Sounds

Submitted by BARILOCHE a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2003

Bottom Line:
Weel , I already wrotre s revew 4 years ago, and now I am going to change my CD. Very good for years of using without any problem (excet that the dispaly light broke on the second year).
During these four years, I had the opportunity to bring at home equipments from frients (Musical Fidelity A-300) and from dealers (POwer supply and DAC of MSB), and I could compare with my "CD6". I am not going to write a long review now. So , only two comments:

The MF cost is more than double than the CD6. I was listening a whole weekend, and honestly, I did not note any differences. In fact, my wife was very "funny" about my surveys of "machines". She decided to put 10 Cds of my music, and make pass an examination, with "closed eyes". The result was very sad for me, since only in 4 ocassions I got the right CD. To me, the sound was very similar.

With the MSB Link Dat, the result was different, since the sound was a little more detailed (a little, only a little), and with more air (only a little). The cost of the MSB with the power supply was $1,500. In my opinion, too much money for "a little".
My conclusion is that CD6 is a very good CD that can compete with CDs of the line of MF X Ray, Marant CD 17, Rotel , etc.
My congratulations to CAMBRIDGE AUDIO, since I have been enjoing a very good sound with a very serious CD player. I also used the XLR out puts, and noted a light improvement compared to RAC..

Purchased At:   madrid