C.E.C. TL-5100 CD Players

4.41/5 (17 Reviews) MSRP : $1795.00

Submitted by miroalien a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2003

Bottom Line:
C.E.C. CD Player TL51ZmkII Gold
/Brand new in original box closed/

Summary:
Well. What can i say, it weight 10 kg. surely the best cd I have ever heard. the sounds great (try Lustmord, Diana Krall, Brian Eno-Apollo, Mark Knopfler
Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth)and the disk-weight-prism is a nice option for solid stable for anti-resonance. Even old cd's sounds better. Just be sure you have good cables. Looks like a million dollar cd (with exaggeration :). If you can afford one-buy one, but on
own risk. You must read it!
I must write sad truth below
in weaknesses label.

DVD Sony 930;
tuner Sony 211;
CD Recorder Onkyo DR 700;
Panasonic DVD Recorder 60;
Speakers : Pilot "Concorde CD2000mkIII"
/100kg per one speaker, 178 cm high/;
Connects: VdH The First Ultimate,
Monster M1000 and speakers cable AudioQuest "Midnight+", StrightWires
"Chorus" and others from AudioQuest.

Purchased At:   1900

Submitted by Dan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2000

Bottom Line:
For $800.00 it is a fairly good cd player. It is very warm sounding and maintains a very black bounground. On the other hand, it does not bring about the hyper detail that a good $2000.00 cd alone would. That is not to say the the detail is not very good, it is. It is just not in line with good cd players in that price catagory. As a transport, this player sounds much different. I pair mine with an MSB link. The two make an outstanding pair, making me believe that the weekness in detail is solely due to the outdated D to A converter contained in the unit. You get both the warmth and hyper detail of a good $2000-$3000 player without the cost. The only downside is that you loose a little of the black background (the silence of the background though is still within excellent parameters). I use a kimber KCAG silver coaxial digital cable between the two which seems to work very well. So, for the price as a stand alone CD player I give it a 4. For performance as a cd transport I give it a five.

Purchased At:   audio advisor

Submitted by Dennis a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2000

Bottom Line:
The popping SUCKS! I don't think the detail is as nice as some say and it's a bit piercing on teh high ends. i guess for $800 i could do worse but my hopes where built up with this thing and shattered by the popping and shrieking treble.

In case it helps evaluate my system is as follows:

audio research d-60 mono amps
audio research pre amp
acoustat electrostatic speakers
other stuff

I DO LOVE AUDIO ADVISOR HOWEVER. They were quick to take the first one back and all my other purchases from them have been beautiful and smooth.

Submitted by Howard Gelber a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2000

Bottom Line:
The player is warm and musical overall, but with a somewhat bloated and non detailed bass. The warmth comes at the expense of transparency. Sounds nice and rich at low to moderate volume levels, but gets congested and less detailed at higher volume levels. I would have kept it, but I believe my systemn (Plinius M16 pre, Plinius SA250MkIV power, Dunlavy SC-IV, and cables by Siltech and Ensemble)
would benefit from an even better player. Overall, I haven't heard better for $800.00. But, it is not as good as the DAC1/DVD combo (cost $1300-1500) or some better one box separates.

Submitted by KCK a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2000

Bottom Line:
Sonically, this unit strikes the balance for me between the too-laid-back Planet and the hyper-detailed NAD. Both good players depending on system and taste no doubt, but not for me.
Bass is good; not world-class but approaching it. I agree with reviewer #11 in that it is probaly not a contender at $1,795 but certainly is at $800, particularly given the 30-day trial (I attach a value of at least 10% to this feature alone. Who anymore lets you audition for 30 days except low-end sellers like BB/CC/Sears?).
Detail is fine but not fatiguing. I don't feel like I'm missing info like I did with the Planet (what is the deal with the cult status of this thing, anyway?). The NAD left me exhausted in minutes.
Sound can be a bit (a BIT) forward, but I'm not done playing with cables yet. This player is equally balanced with classical, jazz or pop vocals.
Its looks clinch the deal for me. I got the gold with some trepidation, thinking it might be too gaudy, but I was ready to take a risk. It is not really gold but a very classy-looking champagne.
I don't have any gripes with the remote or the buttons. When I play a CD, I listen to the whole thing because I choose music I like. I had a programmable Sony and never once used any of the fancy features I paid $$ for. For me now, it's simplicity and function first.
This is a player that gets it right without yelling "Look at me!" I am sure there are better, but not for the money.