Balanced Audio Technology VK-D5 CD Players

4.6/5 (20 Reviews) MSRP : $4500.00

Submitted by Janet a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2017

Bottom Line:
My husband has one of these BAT Vk-D5SE CD players and have had no end of trouble with it. He sent it to the headquarters at least three times for repairs, spent lots of money to have it repaired, it was even upgraded in 2013 and since it returned in 2013 the tray refuses to work. He is tired spending money on this piece of equipment so it now sits like a white elephant in our living room.

Would appreciate any advice as to what could be the problem with this player as I really do not know if it makes sense sending it back to the makers of this piece of equipment as when it is returned it still does not work?

Submitted by Frank Walker a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2010

Bottom Line:
I have been in this game for about 40 years now , and my first set was anologe ,so making the switch was a trip trying to get digital thing wright. One day I stumbled over a review that a gentleman said that he wanted a cd player to go with his turntable thin it clicked. I had for a long time read about Bat cd player's, mainly the vkd5 because for my taste sounds more smooth. This unit replaced the Cary 303/300, and the Cary is no slouch , but the Bat is High end . With the wright setup,amp preamp speakers ,and great liquid smooth cable's,cd after cd, we're talking all night of the music of your hole collection just sounding so right. The soundstage is natural ,the top end is smooth with inner details and a midrange that is first rate. The bass is very tight,and layered. If I had one word to describe the Bat would be satisfied. All in all this is one sophisticated piece that also look great.

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by WalkerTM a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2007

Bottom Line:
This product has excellent sonics, but tend to work when it wants to.

This is an excellent sounding unit, with a natural easy going sound not found in many other players. What comes out of it is relaxed and very detailed. There is a lot of rich detail without the digital hardness that is endemic to CD.

Fit and finish are impressive, when you by this unit you thin nearly indestructible, so to say the least I was taken aback by the units lack of reliability. I have replaced the transport 2 times, re tubed it twice, and had some difficulty with unit powering up as it is suppose to. I recently had the SE upgrade applied and now have a continuation of quirkiness, it will play, but you have to coax it to.

Even though I will keep the unit for a while yet, I would not recommend BAT CD players, though they sound wonderful they are not reliable.

Purchased At:   Hi Fi Audio Dealer

Submitted by Toobz a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2003

Bottom Line:
This review is for the standard VK-D5. Eventually, I would like to compare it to the SE version, though it would be hard to believe that the SE can sound much better than this player with NOS tubes.

When I first got this player, the first thing I did was pull the standard Sovtek 6922 tubes, and replaced them with 3 matched pairs of NOS Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8 tubes. Next on the horizon, I will be trying some Amperex 7308 tubes which are supposed to be fantastic.

With the NOS tubes in place, this turns into one heck of a "redbook" CD player, among the best these ears have heard. The player allows me to listen to the music and lets me forget about the equipment. There is no harshness or brightness, and I can listen for untold hours without any listener fatigue. Detail, imaging and soundstage are all excellent, but let me tell you, the midrange is to die for...the palpability and realness of voices is fanatastic. The bass is very good, and I get all the the "slam" that I need. The highs are very good indeed, though this player is certainly tuned to the "warm" side, and if you're looking for the most extended highs, you won't get it here. However, cymbals sound very natural and exhibit a very natural decay with this player, which is good enough for me.

All in all, I'm extremely pleased with the VK-D5. If you like the "BAT" sound like I do, you'd be happy with this player as well.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by Chris a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2003

Bottom Line:
This review is of the SE edition. I listened to many other CD players when auditioning the front end for my system, and found myself constantly coming back to the warmth and smoothness of the BAT. In comparison to a Levinson No.39, the sound stage on the BAT was less up-front, with less brightness at the top-end and the vocals initially seemed less prominent. Extended listening revealed the BAT to give a more balanced view of the music, with excellent detail retrieval, and very unfatiguing during extended listening. The 39 still had more slam in the bass, but the bottom end was not as musical as the BAT. Krell KAV 280 was a notch below both both these players in overall performance. Overall for some rock music I can see how some might prefer the rawer sound of the Levinson, but for me on all music types the BAT won out, with the possible exception of bass-heavy dance music/reggae, where the control of the Levinson helped to compensate for radio-friendly emphasis on the bass. Compared with the analogue output of a Meridian 598, again the BAT was far more compelling, adding more authority to the music, and noticeably more detail. DVD-A through the Meridian was a big improvement-far better definition overall, tremendous bottom end, and detail, although still lacking the warmth of the VKD5-SE