Audio Research CD3 MKII CD Players

• Dominant recording format
  • Components and damping techniques

Submitted by jdlami a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2006

Bottom Line:
I've had this unit for almost 2 years now. As I've continued to upgrade my system, the sound improves by leaps and bounds. When I first bought it, I was also using a Sony 333ES SACD player. Comparing SACDs played through the Sony and the same recordings on CD played through the ARC, the ARC was as good as and in some cases better than the Sony. So I packed up the SACD player and haven't used it since. The CD3mkII is simply top-notch. I wanted to add this blurb because it looks like the previous reviewer should have given it a 5. Maybe he misunderstood the scale. There's no doubt this is one of the best CD players you'll find.

Purchased At:   Audio Dimensions

Submitted by JGD a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2006

Bottom Line:
I purchased a used, original, CD-3 on ebay. I was very pleased with the unit. I felt it made red book cds sound better than I had ever heard. Then, it started making a scraping sound when playing. So I packed it up and sent it off to ARC to see what was the matter. After about a week they called and said that the spindle needed to be replaced.

They also mentioned that they could upgrade this unit to MkII for a charge of $1000.00. They would also include the spindle repair for no extra charge if I wanted the upgrade. After counting my paper route money I said doit! Well it came back and WOW. what a difference. This player is the best I could have imagined. My cds sound better than modern vinyl systems I have heard. Some of my fav titles I had that I could not listen to because of strident jitter noise that was in a lot of the early releases now sound sweet. I had a cd of Jeff Beck's "Rough and Ready" that was really bad. Now it is good.

I bought the player on ebay for $2500.00, +1000.00 for upgrade. Total $3500.
I think a new CD3 mkII costs $5500 or so. Another great ebay deal !

Purchased At:   ebay-see text