Audio Research CD2 CD Players

4.5/5 (20 Reviews) MSRP : $3495.00

(See reviews)

Submitted by weiserb a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2004

Bottom Line:
I have listen to my friends $ 20,000.00 Krell KPS 25 and great length. While it is better,it not worth the extra $$. The Krell has a wider soundstage and the music seems to float out of it. Its an awesome player. The Audio Research is my choice for the best cd player under $ 2,000.00 . The ARC is very well made , I and my friends have several and they don't break! They have a smooth relaxed sound, which I find true to the music. Never harsh or agressive. ARC is also one of the finest companies in high end audio. Give them a call with any questions or concerns and they are ready to help. I like the fact that it matches their phono and preamps too!

Purchased At:   Onliine

Submitted by 2003Moniker a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2003

Bottom Line:
Sorry to say: This CD player is not what I expected. I was considering exchanging my Parasound DAC 2000 / CDP 2000 combination for a ARC CD2. Having had the CD2 in my setup, I realized that the CD2 does not in any way better the feeling of coming close to the musical event that one get with the Parasound combination.
Definition is lacking. Bass is not very defined. Honestly a dissappointment given ARC´s fine reputation in pre- and power amplifiers.

Submitted by Milimetr a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is review of Audio Research CD3 (not in data base). It is the first top loader from ARC. It is really first class player. Very detailed and clean sound. Right out of the box it sounds a little hard, but after few days it sounds sweet.
If you are considering Audio research with Thiels you should use not bright cables.

System:
Audio Research VT100MKII amplifier
Audio Research LS25MKII preamplifier
Audio Research CD3 player
Thiel CS 2.3 loudspeakers
MIT Oracle V4 speaker cables.

Submitted by hibuckhobby a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2002

Bottom Line:
The few who have given this fine product less than an outstanding (5) rating are obviously looking for a certain sound rather than looking for a player that faithfully reproduces what a disc has on it.

While I would not argue that this is the finest in existance, it is easily among the top 5...arguably even the top 3 players available. It does not abound in features, but then at this price point, programability is not the first thing one looks for...but rather sound. If you must have programability, buy an after market remote and play around with the codes for various Phillips players since this is a Phillips drive. I found that the codes are in the machine, it's only that all the buttons are not on the supplied remote.

The sound, I would describe as spacious, accurate and detailed...yet without the grating clinical nature you hear in some digital sources. I used this player with both Dahlquist Dq-30i's and NHT 2.5i's both of which can be bright if paired with the wrong equipment. With the CD-2, they both sounded glorious.

What compares? The new Wadia, possibly the seperate Levinson drive and processor and with the right equipment, the big krell player. All of them cost more than the Cd-2 and the differences don't come close to justifying the price.

Submitted by Joe France a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2000

Bottom Line:
To begin with, I love my Copland CD player, but I have for a long time wanted to hear the Audio Research CD player, and thanks to Ken at Audio Nexus in Summit NJ, I had a fair hearing mated with Audio Research pre/power. It was amazing. With the Meadowlark Shearwaters, I listened to the St. Paul Choir psalms (Hyperion) I heard acoustic detail that had one-to-two seconds greater "hang time" for the vocals, giving the truer sense of detail sounds in St. Paul's Catheral, London. Vocals had greater magic, and orchestral was powerful and fully complex, even at lower levels-- details were revealed to me for the first time. This is an amazing machine, and if more people heard it and bought it, we wouldn't be playing crazy mind games wondering what to do about CD, HDCD, DVD or Super CD-- or wait for the winner (?). This IS super CD, and you have it now in its perfection with Audio Research. Don't go nuts wondering what to do. If you're like me and have a lot of CDs, you're going to need a good CD player. Boys (and girls) this is it!!! Thanks to Ken at Audio Nexus, a gentleman and music lover.

FGH 26: