Audio Note CD-2 CD Players

4.57/5 (14 Reviews) MSRP : $2000.00

Submitted by Selley21 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2003

Bottom Line:
My long suffering Arcam Alpha 7 expired after 5 years of hard use. Initial thoughts centred toward the Arcam CD82 as it at the time of writing has all the magazines swooning. A listen revealed that as far as I was concerned it really did not do much more than the CD62. Next up was the the CD6000KI but I had a job finding them and oddly it doesn't partner very well with with my Marantz PM8200.
Then I listened to the Audio Note. It had been doing work as a reference player at the company I work for (good behavior will spare you all a plug- it is not a make mentioned in this review) and its owner released for the magnificently generous sum listed above.
Simply speaking this player proverbially poos all over the two aforementioned players (which are in fairness both cheaper than a new CD2). Whatever you throw at it the overall performance remains incredibly smooth without sacrificing any detail on the recording. Human voices are reproduced in a manner that will draw a sharp intake of breath and a swift helping of goosebumps. Feeders' "Just the way I'm feeling" played on the CD2 will allow you to judge just how many fags Grant Nicholas had smoked before launching into his opening vocals. This is no acoustic only anachorism however, the Hybrid remix of Jeff Wayne's Eve of the War has all of the drive and grunt (and none of the harshness) of my Dad's Naim CD3.5 and has a truly ballistic edge. In short, I love this thing. Give it a listen and I'm pretty sure you will to. Value rating would be for a new one incidentally- mine would be 10 blobs at £150.

Purchased At:   Second Hand

Submitted by Neil Hunter a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have felt compelled to write this review ever since about 30 minutes after taking my new Audio-Note CD2.1X out of the box, and hooking it all up with some superb Audio-Note AN-V interconnect, on New-Year’s Eve.
(My system comprises a modified Audio-Note M1 pre-amp with silver wiring, A-N Copper-Foil signal capacitors, Aura PA200 mono’d power-amps, Mountain Snow Atlas 2 Silver speaker cable and B&W Nautilus 804 loudspeakers.)

Straight out of the box, the bass was way too heavy, but after just 10 minutes or so, it snapped into line. By the way, the sonic qualities of the system are still improving as I have only had it for about 10 days! Just before my purchase, I tried a number of other “Best-Buy” Japanese models. They weren’t bad, but they didn’t really ring my bell. Then along came the A-N CD2.1x……

Physically, it is a large, heavy player, which feels satisfyingly substantial. The brushed aluminium fascia is beautiful, as are the buttons, which have a pleasant smooth feel to them. The display is a cool-blue LCD affair that has all the usual info present. Quite why display manufacturers need to tell you the track number via a digit, and by the matrix of flashing numbers on the right-hand-side baffles me! The CD-tray is fairly quiet and smooth, but is also quite quick in ejection and retracting into the player. Personally, I find a slower drawer has more of an expensive feel! But that’s my opinion. Nonetheless, this is a very well built machine, with basic controls, no frills, and a digital out on the rear too!

It didn’t take too long to warm up, and the chassis and front-panel soon had nice warmth to them. I like this a lot – especially a warm amplifier, with warm controls!

I hooked the CD2.1x to my M1 pre-amp, and immediately, I fell foul of the high output voltage (3V). But once the player had run in (I suggest 20-30 hours minimum), the quality of it was apparent. In fact the quality of its sound was apparent well before 20 hours! It just sounds even better after 20 hours of playing.

Whatever I throw at it from Kylie to Madonna, Michael Jackson to Fluke, Shostakovich to Bach, Vierne or Dupre, the Audio-Note excelled. I am having a real renaissance with my hi-fi now, exploring old CD’s that used to sound bland that now sound wonderful. Everything about the sound is right. The bass is very extended and deep, but has a dynamic punch to it, perfect for more modern electronic recordings such as Moby, Leftfield and Kosheen. The midrange is so clear and “present” that it makes you want to listen to more, and has you on the edge of your seat listening to new, unheard details, and the high-frequencies are supreme – beautifully detailed and airy, with no sense of harshness whatsoever. I have never had a vinyl system, and I am thinking that this CD-player must be sharing some of vinyl’s qualities.

This player is simply brilliant. It looks a million dollars, is substantially built, and sounds awesome. For the money, it surely must be unbeatable, and I am positive that it could give players costing several times its price a good run for their money….maybe with one exception, the Audio-Note CD3.1x…….!

Submitted by witters a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have the later version of the CD2 with the new fascia. It's very solidly built and weighs in excess of 10 kilos. I have long been looking for a sound with a totally smooth, almost fluid treble, and I reckon this is it! It is not at all fatiguing and has bags of detail with a lovely open soundstage. Used with my Arcam A85 amp it sounds sublime.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by booboohifi a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2002

Bottom Line:
This beauty(the new CD2.1x) took about 30 minutes to warm up but it was worth the wait.The overall sound is exceptionally warm with a fantastic soundstage.Its bass is extended but does not interfere with the overall mix which is what a listener wants. The timbre has got to be one of the most realistic I have come across excluding the from -another- planet setups you come across at shows.It's also very forgiving of badly recorded stuff which I have quite a bit of in my collection.I tested it against against the Audiomeca Obsession which in most cases it walked over but the Obsession could pick up on the overall rhythm of one or two pieces a lot better than the AN. The looks of the machine are on the average side but its the sound that counts. The small remote seems a bit mean but who cares.The only serious fault I could find for this machine is that it has a high ouput which may mess up things with some amps. I have an integrated valve amp.It would interesting to know what its like with a solid state setup.Its also not cheap !

Purchased At:   Northwood Audio

Submitted by Lou a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2001

Bottom Line:
This CD player should be more popular then it is. At 800.00 used it is a Steal.I was going to get the Ah! 4000. But for 200.00 more It's a no brainer. The CD-2 is in another class altogeather. Big soundstage and great bass w/ a warm tube sound. Can't be beat!

High End: