Arcam FMJ CD-23 CD Players

4.9/5 (49 Reviews)

Submitted by abcxyz a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2009

Bottom Line:
I want to keep it short and to the point. This is the best CD player I have ever had. Before this, it was the Cary 308T and the 308 and the Arcam CD92 that were all favorites until now. What stands out is detail. I feel that I am hearing everything that is on every disk and it sounds very natural too. Also, the pace is fine. What stood out first was that it sounded a bit warmer than the Jolida JD100 was or even the Cary players. (They sound dark but in a nice way.) The warmth makes it a match for solid state integrateds that may or may not warm up your source.
The remote offers the best features: Random, Repeat 1, Repeat All, and since this is the 23T version, it also tells you if the disk has it on there who or what is playing. Also, you can turn off the display if you want. Pretty cool.

Right now I am using the FMJ23T with the Acoustic Energy AEGO 2 system (the original system) and the FMJ just makes those metal coned satellites and active subwoofer sound like a $1000 system already. This again tells me how important the source is! An amp with matching speakers or speakers with a matching amp is the next step but the music is so good right now that this may be a good long while before it happens.

Submitted by BradNad a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2005

Bottom Line:
For the past four years I have owned the Arcam DiVA CD72 CD player. I have been impressed with this unit for some time. However, as I upgraded my amplification and speakers, the CD72 started to reveal it's weaknesses. The trebble had far to much grain, and there was a hardness to the upper midrange.

So, when I had the opportunity to pick up my friends CD23 for a great price, I could not believe my luck.

As soon as I plugged it in, it just sounded right. The overall tonal balance was very similar to the CD72. However, the bass was slightly more extended, and slightly tighter and had more focus and grip.

The midrange was cleaner and slightly warmer (approachng analogue type warmth). However, what struck me was the complete lack of grain in the treble. It is so smooth and sweet. It also has much more 'air' then my old CD72.

The soundstage is also large. It is both deep and wide. So large, that my speakers just fill the room with a magical and musical sound. Its as if the artist is actually there. The way in which the player can place individual instruments accurately within the vast soundstage is incredible.

Detail is also very high, but it places musicality first. Exactly what a high audio product should do.

My only gripe, is that some may prefer a slightly faster presentation with more snap. This does not mean that this player can not do timing. Infact its rhythm and timing are spot on. I often tap my heels with this player.

Build quality is spot on. I could go on for longer. However, you are best to just go and have a listen, as this player lets the music do the talking.

My System:

Arcam FMJ CD23 TEXT
DNM Reson Interconnects
Creek 4330R Mk2 (for tweeters)
Creek A43 Mk2 (for mid/bass drivers)
Gale XL315
B&W CDM 1NT
Atacama SE24 Stands (half filled w/sand)

Happy listening!

Purchased At:   off a friend

Submitted by Thimmy118 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2005

Bottom Line:
I must admit that I have not realised any of the strenght of this CD player until I 'upgraded' my amp. Initially, I had dismiised the positive reviews found in vitually evry Hifi magazines that I read including reviews on this website as an over exageration of the product capabilities. Boy, was I wrong. It was the amplifier that did not bring the positive qualites not the CD itself.

When I change my Amp from a Primare A30.1 (Int) to a Jungson (pre/power), the whole sound changed, literally. Soundstage opened up. Intrument timbre had dimensionality and everything sounded real. Bass was there, not overwhelming but just right. Soundstage is wide and deep and everything sounded more real. Smooth, incisive, detail and incredibly flexible. Plays all genre of music with ease. Ensure it is team up with an amplifier that is capable of bringing out the best in this player. Through my Primare A30.1, the Arcam sounded bright and thin. Cymbles were poorly resolved and did not sound as real. Timbre from musical instrument were not as rounded and often sounded flat on recording that had extensive drum sequencesa; Musical instruments also sounded flat through my previous Primare. Not now though. Everything that reveiwers have written positively about this player is clearly 110% correct throughmy Jungson Pre/power. Wish this site would allow me to write a review of the Jungson amp.

My current system consist of: -
Jungson JA99c and JA2 pre power amps
Dynaudio Countour 1.3SE
Sonic Art speaker cables
Audience AU24 interconnect (CD and Pre)
Jungson Refence interconnect (Pre and Power)
Sound Organisation Hifi Stand
Unicorn isolating corns

Submitted by Ambient fish a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2004

Bottom Line:
Digital Nirvana, that's what I have bought into. This player is stunning in it's composure and clarity, details that were never even hinted at on previous machines come to the fore and make your music come alive. In combination with my current set up this machine produces an expansive liquid sound field in Dolby Pro Logic II, I am more than happy with it, Mike Oldfield's remastered HDCD back catalogue is a startling case in point. Amarok which was Mike's parting shot at Virgin is full of controlled, aggressive sonic energy and detail when played through the CD 23T, in contrast to the Arcam Diva CD 72T which I thought was an excellent CD spinner when I first purchased it but which in comparison sounds flat and slow.

I must be honest at this point and admit that I did not listen to any other player before buying the CD 23T as I had been stalking this particular beast for over 9 months in Stereo Stereo until the price was finally right.

Purchased At:   Stereo Stereo

Submitted by j kansara a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2003

Bottom Line:
fantastic player all you will ever require at this price level or above

Purchased At:   sevenoaks hifi