Arcam CD82T CD Players

Two 24-bit 192kHz capable Wolfson DACs, Burr-Brown opamps in ouput stage.

Submitted by cteffner a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2005

Bottom Line:
A simple player that just doesn't have any effect or much of a sound at all, without being lifeless. It reproduces the CD without impartiing anyhthing.

Purchased At:   Pro Musica, Chicago

Submitted by mortz a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2004

Bottom Line:
Needing a replacement for an aging CD player, which I had been using as a transport with a d/a converter, I went about auditioning one box players with a ceiling of 3K (Canadian) in mind. Having a Linn Integrated I considered a Linn player, but while I liked, the value for the dollar was not there. I also listened to several Rotel products, highly rated by reviewers and very good. However once I listened to the CD82T , I kept going back. I just sounded right. I could use all the descriptors one might read in a review, but the word "right" just seems to fit. The CD72 was great, but the 82 was that much better and certainly worth the extra money, having what I would describe as a warmer, yet detailed sound. For my dollar I found this player to be the absolute point of diminishing returns in that I felt it was twice as good as a 1K player, but only marginally behind players worth 1K more ($3000). I would have to spend a small fortune to get something that would be enough of an upgrade to even consider. The true test was bringing the player home, giving it a while to break in, and then having my wife, who pays no attention to the equipment, only the music, ask in a rather suspicious tone if I had purchased new speakers as well. We have both definitely discovered a whole new library of music with previously hidden detail and nuance. In terms of value this is by far the best component I have. I would recommend this for anyone who wants audiophile equipment on a finite budget (like most of us), although this piece has now given me the bug to upgrade amp and speakers.

Purchased At:   Audio Ark