Arcam Alpha 7SE CD Players

4.54/5 (39 Reviews)

20-bit Burr Brown PCM1617 DAC, opt & coax out, display off

Submitted by keepitsimplestupid a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2004

Bottom Line:
I was very skeptical about how much better this single disc player would be over my circuit city special onkyo mulitdisc player (i think i wrote a positive review for it, for what its worth)...I no longer use the onkyo, though, because this cd player is so much better....i don't like changing cd's manually, but i can't stand the sound of my onkyo even worse...

This cd player is awsome...and now used ones are affordable via ebay/audiogone...i have not listened to any other high end cd players so i can't say how this one compares...all i would say is that it is way better than anything you can get from big electronic superstores...i would recommend this unit to anyone that is cheap and has a love for accurate reproduction of sound....

my system:
NAD T751 A/V Amp
Paradigm Monitor 7v2 front speakers

Submitted by ludwiger a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2004

Bottom Line:
Regarding my previous post, I brought the CD player to Hawthorne Stereo who shipped off to Arcam's North American distributor who fixed it and everything's but perfect since (I believe they replaced the tray/door).

Purchased At:   Hawthorne Stereo

Submitted by ludwiger a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2002

Bottom Line:
I posted a few months ago, but this time I'm not as happy. Recently the loading mechanism began to fail sporadically. It often will not open. Wondering if I should've sprung for a reliable NAIM system...

Submitted by stavs a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2002

Bottom Line:
Did not get the opportunity to audition the 7SE - but with a cd player of such unanimous acclaim, I wasn't exactly nervous about just going out and buying one - especially given that I had no other components at the time, i.e. no existing baggage to fit in with.

Within days I bought a used arcam amp and some mission 733e speakers (and cables).

Partnered with an Arcam Delta 290, the depth and quality of sound produced by this arcam union is staggering. Warm and natural detailed sound which has real punch and attack - but not so as to sound forced or artificially created. The highs, lows and mids all sing along very nicely - the 290's tone controls are permanently defeated, any tampering with these controls would be utterley pointless. Inspiring and highly musical cd player, worth every penny.

Having said all that, I know bugger all about hi-fi and I've got no real reference point from which to draw comparisons - so don't take my word for it. I'll give it 5 stars though cos it sounds awesome!

Submitted by Mark Steele a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is really just an update on my review from 16-10-2000.

With a different interconnect the brightness and occasional lack of drama are no longer apparent. The sound is rich and warm but rhythmic and precise. The timbres of instruments are rendered well and the sense of the recording's acoustic is good. IMHO you need to spend a lot more to get a player that sounds more than just slightly better. Using cones to isolate the chassis will bring its performance up to the level of players costing twice as much. If it is partnered well it sounds great.

I have altered my ratings as the price has fallen making it better value for money. Performance-wise, I've got no complaints but I realise that there are better players available.

System used;