Arcam Alpha 1 CD Players

3.48/5 (21 Reviews) MSRP : $600.00

Information not available

Submitted by Jeff a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
I've tested Denon, Rotel, Yamaha and NAD cd player before buying and the Arcam was the best on them (in my opinion). The harmonic definition of the sounds as well as the spatial 3D imaging of the musical instruments playing are pretty neat.

Purchased At:   Rotac

Submitted by Mark a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2001

Bottom Line:
The Alpha One has never successfully tracked *all* of my CDs, but it's only the odd one here and there that doesn't work. Having owned it for six years, contrary to the crass generalisations of one or two other reviews here, the player is working as it did when I bought it.

And the sound quality, in tandem with an Alpha 5+ and Mordaunt-Short MS30 speakers, is really quite good. It's never going to rival high-end systems, as the treble is rolled off and the bass, while articulate and rhythmically correct, does not delve deep enough. But the midrange is very good, the soundstage is solid and it drives music along without drawing too much attention to itself.

By the way, I also own an Arcam 170.3 CD transport (12 years old!!), hooked up to an Arcam Black Box 50 DAC, and the transport is still rock solid, has never had the laser changed, and having been clocked with a Trichord Clock 3, sounds quite excellent. A similar upgrade to the Alpha One could work wonders on timing and dynamic range.

Who says Arcam products don't last?

Submitted by Peter a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2001

Bottom Line:
I'm a little disappointed at the build problems people are having. I've had an Alpha one for 7 years and shipped it around the world a couple of times and never had a problem. I also have an Arcam amp and am quite happy with the sound.

Submitted by David Zamith a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2001

Bottom Line:
I can't really complain about this player. It sounds better than the Yamaha it replaced. And my friends are very impressed with my system - and so am I.

No complaints. I'll post another review if I run into problems

Purchased At:   Pawn Shop!!!

Submitted by Matthew Reading a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2001

Bottom Line:
This player isn't the best but I think it represents a good value for the money. I do prefer the sound of the new Alpha 7SE. I will upgrade eventually. The Alpha 1 does have a little more "grain" than the 7SE. I found the Alpha 1 similar in sound to a Rotel that I have tried.

I have heard of problems with these players, but mine seems fine so far. I've been using one for about 3 years

Purchased At:   retailer