Anthem CD-1 CD Players

4.87/5 (15 Reviews) MSRP : $1700.00

Submitted by tannoyya a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2008

Bottom Line:
sonic frontiers i love there equipment. the anthem cd1 i've had for 6 years now and im still over the moon with it, this is a 6 disc player and would i find it very hard to go back to a single disc player and dont want to, big soundstage lots of detail yet warm lots of players have come and gone but the cd1 always has that something that i just can not let go of so i got a new laser for it for whenever it needs a new one, sonic frontiers cd1 6 disc multiplayer with 6922 valve output a real keeper in my eyes
just what you need in hifi something you can live with for years

Submitted by coopmv a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2003

Bottom Line:
For a CD changer made in the late 90's, this CD player delivers tremendous sound. It sounds at least as good as my one-year old Rega Planet 2000 and blows away my two Sony ES changers. The tube-output stage gives any CD an extra dimension. I connect this changer to my Tandberg 3002 preamp/Crown DC300 amp combo and then to a pair of KLH speakers in my study. The resulting soundstage is unbelievable. The string and the vocal sound so real as if I am actually there for a live performance. The build is terrific and it weighs just a tad under 30 lbs. Thia is real build quality - lots of metal and a 3/8" inch solid aluminum fact plate - compared with most of the cheap CD plyers made in Asia. It is a shame that Sonic Frontiers no longer makes this player. This changer is much sought after by audiophiles in the second hand market for good reasons.

Purchased At:   Jeff's Sound Values

Submitted by Lou Walters a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is a preliminary review of a modified Anthem CD-1 CD player. I also own an Anthem Pre-1 that was also modified, that I will post a review for. Also, I will do a formal review once all of the new parts have broken in. The mods that have been done on this CD player over the past few years include:

1. Seimens NOS 6922 gold pin output-buffer stage tube
2. Entire bottom of chasis damped with mortite compound ( also makes a great damping material).
3. Shun Mook Iso Cubes
4. MIT Z-Cord II with Watta-Gate IEC, and Hubbel Male AC plug.
5. (The latest, and most impressive). The replacement of every Solen capacitor with Rel Caps --AudioCap Theta's. These are expensive capacitors, and according to some, probably the best made caps in the entire world.

The latest mod / tweak:
Within 1.5 hours I managed to safely remove, and replace all of the Solen caps with Rel Cap AudioCap Theta's.
The Theta's are very large caps. Placing them within the confines of the circuit board was problematic in a few instances, but I figured out ways to make things
fit. When I plugged everything back in, nothing worked! The CD player was blowing fuses, left right- and-center. I called Sonic Frontiers, ready to ship them the unit to fix up some bobo that I had made. Then their technical support person gave me a couple of ideas to try before giving up.
It turned out that one of the wires was pinched under a screw that was holding the main circuit board in, hence causing a direct short. I quickly fixed the problem, put everything back, and tried again.

The Sound:
Words cannot describe the overall improvement in my system. Well recorded CD's have a rap-around effect (almost suround-sound-like), that I have never heard before with the Anthem CD-1. I have heard this effect on much more expensive CD players, like some models from Meridian, and Sonic Frontiers. Low level detail improved quite a bit. More so than having a dedicated 20 AMP isolated ground, and MIT Z-Cord II! Another change was a persevable increase in base-slam, and soundstage depth! I would never have thought that I would be hearing some of the things that I am. Verly slight (small details, and aural queues) start popping out of my music that I have never heard. Top end detail has improved, without sounding etched, or as if someone cranked up the treble. In other words, music seemes more natural, and visceral. But by-far the largest most discernable improvement was the improvement in sound stage depth, and width. F*&ken unreal, is all I can say! The focus and transparency just blows me away! I cant wait for everything to settle down, and break-in, so I can hear what it will really sound like.

I haven't done a side-by-side comparison with this modified player and something else. I would like to compare it to a BAT, or Cary Audio; both manufactures making excelent CD players (at a lot more money). As a previous poster (who informed me about this tweek / mod), I would recomend this mod to anyone who owns an Anthem CD-1, and doesn't mind doing a little soldering work.

I normally would't give a 5/5 rating, but considering what I paid a few years ago for this player, and how good it sounds almost 4 years after I purchased it, I'm not sure how much better something can sound. I have heard many more expensive CD players (all out of context in other systems), and my Anthem now gives me most of what the "big boys" have to offer. If I get a chance to do a direct comparison (in my system), I will post the results here.

Submitted by David Ellis a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2001

Bottom Line:
I write this so that others will know of a some very worthwhile tweaks. The Anthem CD-1 doesn't need them, but they are very worthwhile.

I posted below, please read that post for further information about what I listened to when deciding to purchase this CD player. That event occurred about 1 1/2 years ago. About three months ago I tweaked the CD player. It is now a world class unit. I doubt the Wadia 830 would be it's equal.

I performed two tweaks. I replaced the Sovtek tube with a Seimens tube from Sonic Frontiers. This made a little improvement. It was slightly smoother, and much quieter.

The second tweak is for those who are somewhat skilled. A soldering iron and some delicate hands are necessary. I replace the 5 Solen Capacitors in the output stage with Audio Cap PPMF units from Reliable Capacitor. I had to wait for the correct capacitor values, but the wait was well worth it. The Solen was "the capacitor" 15 years ago. They are still offered in some very serious audiophile stuff. At about $3 each they are a very good bargain for manufacturers. Through my endeavors with loudspeaker building I learned about improved capacitors. The folks at Reliable Capacitor offer the PPMF. It is a significantly audible improvement in crossover networks. Replacing the 5 Solen capacitors took me about 2 hours. I have never made a more worthwhile tweak in my three years of playing with this stuff. It is about the same audible improvement as moving from lamp cord to Goertz copper foil wire. The soundstage was completely black (no noise), and the dynamics - wow!

This CD player was darn good when I purchased it, but it is truly a world class machine now.

Sincerely,

Dave Ellis

Submitted by john a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2000

Bottom Line:
Best sounding sub 2500.00 i have ever heard.Give one a lsiten.Sound is incredible.Great value used unit are 1000/1200 get one.

MS 1400W: