AMC CD9 CD Players

3.69/5 (16 Reviews) MSRP : $300.00

single disc

Submitted by Chuck V a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2002

Bottom Line:
I feel I owe it to the AMC people to post an updated review of this unit. (See my rant from a couple years back below). Once I finally got it back (for the second time) from their service department, it worked fine. And has worked fine ever since. It does benefit from a high end dac. And it is very picky about CD-r's. But it sounds good and has been perfectly reliable, it just took some work to get it to that point.

Purchased At:   audio advisor

Submitted by Peter a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought this product over a year ago and I'm still amazed at the wonderful sound. Sounds very smooth, basically any kind of music sounds good : classical, jazz, rock.
Of course, there are better products on the market, and it has its flaws.
Overal I would give it a 4, but for the price I paid for it, you can't find any better.

Purchased At:   Local store

Submitted by Jay a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2001

Bottom Line:
I use this CD player at work (McCormack Micro Integrated Drive, Sennheiser HD 580, NAD 4020B tuner, Rotel RLC-900 line conditioner, and Tara Labs Prism 11 interconnects) and think that it sounds great. The system sounded a little thin with Tara Labs RSC interconnects, but the Prism 11's worked wonders to fill out the sound with only a slight decrease in detail. The player has a smooth, refined sound that is virtually indistinguishable from my old NAD 502. I've had no problems with the unit's reliablilty or its compatability with commercially recorded CDs.

Purchased At:   Audio Advisor

Submitted by michael a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2001

Bottom Line:

I like this player a lot, it sure may lack a few features (shuffle play,display off)but who cares the sound more than
makes up;I personnally prefer to the Marantz, just buy a good quality interconnect cable like MIT Terminator 2 and you will enjoy a great sound;I reccommend the unit without any hesitation I have been using it nearly a year without any problems;I dont understand why some people have had problems;It will beat most cd players for sound under $1000.
Great value, well done AMC!

Purchased At:   ubid.com.au

Submitted by Dennis a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2000

Bottom Line:
Whoa! Why all the AMC bashing out there?

I have a CD9 in an alternate, "downstairs" system, but I have evaluated (sometimes out of necessity) in my "big rig" system.

Again, keeping in mind the modest money paid, this is an EXTREMELY musical CD player. It's sins are of "omission", meaning it may not extract the last ounce of detail, but it always serves the music, nonetheless.

Construction is first rate, I've never experienced the slightest glitch in operation in close to two years.

I've also listened to MANY other CD players in and around this price range (Rotel, Marantz, Sony, etc.) and can unhesitantly say - the CD9 is one of the BEST BARGAINS in an afordable CD player out there - PERIOD.

MS 1400W: