AMC CD8 CD Players

4.32/5 (56 Reviews) MSRP : $350.00

Single disc CD player with digital out

Submitted by niles300z a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2011

Bottom Line:
Ok. I know.. What hasn't been said? but I feel compelled to share my good fortune as well. I have been comparing it with Rotel's RCD-951 and NAD's 515 BEE. They are all very nice, but I have to say even though I would take the Rotel, the AMC is always amazing too. It is just a surprising deck. Maybe it was the separate power supplies, or the decent parts, but they have managed to make a player that competes with today's technology 5 years ago. How do you extend treble, avoid hash, and still keep the nice tight bass through an analog output. I will tell you I am using MIT Terminator 4 interconnects because I do believe cables make a difference. I can't shake how good it sounds through inexpensive cables. These may be a good match. Try one out if you can find it. Also, these AMC people remind me of Polk in the customer service department.
I called about a part, and they had no problem sending one out in the mail the next day. No questions asked. Awesome. And while I'm on a rant, try the AMC 2100 also. I may have found another sleeper there.
Ah, what can't be done these days with a nice simple plan, some knowhow, and a few good toroids.

Submitted by River Audio a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2011

Submitted by Digital Man a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2003

Bottom Line:
The sonic signature of this player can be described as slightly laid back and somewhat thin sounding, with clean and extended highs compared to other players I've owned.

It loads discs fast and has no problem with slightly scratched discs or various CDR brands (TDK, Samsung, Memorex). I've had no problems with reliability nor have I noticed loud operation. The remote even operates an A-B repeat function.

The build quality seems to be good for the price. The front panel is thick metal and the power switch is even a solid 'rocker' type switch. The other buttons on the front panel are a little flimsy though. What is most impressive is the fact that the player utilizes separate power supplys for the digital, analog, and servo circuits.

All in all, this is a fine stand-alone player to keep an eye out for on the used market.

Purchased At:   Used

Submitted by ddarch44 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2003

Bottom Line:
With 52 reviews for the little AMC, it's hard to say anything new. I mainly want to chime in on the reliability issue. I have not had a single problem with the unit. It has never rejected a disc. It has never skipped. Not once.

For bang for the buck, this is one of my wisest audio buys ever. It easily rivals my older NAD cd player. (517) I litsen to mainly rock, jazz, and classical, and it does a superb job to all. I love the NAD-ish styling. The remote, as others have said, is very cheesy, but otherwise, it's hard to find a flaw.

Purchased At:   AudioAdvisor

Submitted by Kevin Riopelle a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have had none of the problems reported by others reviewing the CD8B . Ive had it for a year 1/2. And its been flawless. Remastered 20 bit cds are ,unbelievable! This player is quick, the notes just fly. It doesnt shine as well on mid-fi gear, but still sounds better than any player costing 2 to 3 times the price. Ive heard many, many different players and some costing 4 grand. This player is a giant killer. I did ad RF filters in inside the player at key points. It made a 25% difference in resolution. This player is very picky with interconnects. Ive tried many types. I found the best match to be Monster Cable Reference 2. Interconnects will make or break this player. My gear is a Musical Fidelity AC3R amp and pre-amp. This player isnt the best in the world. But bang for buck its as good as it gets.

Purchased At:   Audio Advisor