Alchemist TS-D-1 CD Players

4.33/5 (3 Reviews)

24 bit/96 kHz Digital to Analog Converter

Submitted by Roland Mabo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought this as an upgrade to my Micromega Junior CD-player. I was thinking about trading my Micromega for a newer CD-player, but got the adviced that I should add a DAC instead. This has showned to be a smart and cost efficient move.
Sound quality has improved overall. A richer, smoother, fuller, more detailed and room filling sound. This DAC is a true bargain.
It sounds great with all types of music.

However, When matched to my Alchemist Axiom amp, I feel that it could do with slightly mor sparkle. The sound can be too smooth sometimes. Easy on the ear.

Purchased At:   Hi-Fi Punkten (Sweden)

Submitted by Lawrence Chan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2000

Bottom Line:
This product is very competitive in the low end DAC market.
I know that many have bought the MSB instead, I guess is for it's punchy bass. This product has enhanced my system in the whole range. Voice, guitar and violin are smoother and more natural, and bass is fuller. It added more detail in the recordings. Don't expect dramatic changes for its price, but it make enough improvement for its price. Here, its 20% less than the MSB.

I'm using Denon 2500 DVD player.

Submitted by Imron Tandukallo a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 20, 1999

Bottom Line:
I've just listened to this DAC alongside with a Musical-Fidelity X-24K. The setup goes as follows:
Nad pre/power amplifier,
JM Lab speakers,
and Marantz CD-63 KI-Signature as transport.

One thing that did not seem right was the digital link. It could be that the TS-D-1 was not using the optical digital cable.

At first, I tried the X-24K. The sound is 'as it supposed to be' to my ear. But when they switched to TS-D-1, I noticed the fuller bass. I could not seem to tell the difference other than the fuller bass between the two DAC; that was partly because it was not a proper listening room. It's an open space. But even with open space, I could still notice that the TS-D-1 had better bass than the X-24K. Mind me, X-24K did not have the X-PSU connected to it.

I expect this DAC will make my Toshiba DV-2108 sings and dances. For the sound that I experienced, I would give it a 5 star. I believe that it could not beat any of the higher-end, but for a beginner, myself, this unit performs miraculously. Hope pay day comes soon. I'm trembling with lust for this unit... :-D

Wood Technology: