AH! Tjoeb '98 CD Players

4.87/5 (63 Reviews) MSRP : $450.00

Marantz CD38 based machine with FULL tube-section and different other modifications.

Submitted by James a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up since my review 1 1/2 years ago.
Currently, I still use this player and am satisfied with it. I have upgraded the tubes. There is a difference but not that big of a difference.

Overall, this CDP is very good, especially if your like the musicality of tubes.

I have noticed though that this player sounds thin and bright when it hasn't warmed up yet.
So I leave them on for at least 3 hours before listening. The sound is so smooth when the tubes are warm. I can turn up my system without harshness.

However after leaving them on for more than a day, the tubes start to lose their magic. It sounds as if it is distorting. Anyways, it really isn't a problem for me since I listen to music at the appropriate time when they do sound magical.

My system has evolved completely since then

AH! Tjoeb '99
Creek OBH-10 passive preamp
Adcom GFA-5800 amp
Dynaudio Contour 1.3
JPS Labs Ultra Speaker and Inteconnect cables
Premier J series stands (sand filled)

I rate this Tjoeb only by how it makes me experience the music.

Submitted by Bill Kahle a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2000

Bottom Line:
I "impulse-purchased" this thing from Kevin @ Upscale after seeing it on his site. I have to say that after putting about 20 hrs. on it, I'm very impressed and more enthusiastic about playing CDs than ever before! So far, all the hype is justified and I haven't even hit the supposed "break-in" yet. It simply sounds wonderful!!

The internal build quality and attention to detail (of the Holland installed)components is top-notch. The only questionable item(everyone has to gripe about something :)) that I can point out would be the lack of ventilation in the cover. The tubes do generate enough heat to cause the cover to get "toasty" after an hour or so of operation. It wouldn't be an issue at all except that a large bank of electrolytics populate the tube circuit board. Heat KILLS electrolytics, but with that being said, the internal temperature probably isn't high enough to be a concern.
FWIW, I replaced the stock 6922s w/ a NOS set of Amperex gold-pins that I had been hoarding.
Also questionable were the "noise killer" and "super crystal" upgrades, but for the low amount that they cost, I said "why not".
Purchasing the unit from Kevin Deal was a nice experience and it arrived packed quite well (double boxed).

In a nutshell, this thing kicks butt!

Submitted by Theo van der Laan a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2000

Bottom Line:
We were looking for a cd-player being able to reproduce a less "harsh" sound, specially the hard sharp highs which (we hoped) could do netter. Searching for this we found several players in the higher price-range, but we also had to keep our budget in mind. We were very much surprised when we found the Tjoeb. This because of a. the soundquality and b. the price/quality-ratio. We bought it and are extremely satisfied. The stereoimaging is more beautiful (more wide and more deep), we have more "air" between the instruments (of orchestras), nice "polished" highs. In every opinion better than our old Kenwood (which was almost twice the price). I am going to have our Tjoeb '98 upgraded to model '99. (Let's do it!). Conclusion: a satisfied buyer.

Submitted by John Vos a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 13, 1999

Bottom Line:

Very detailled, very well separated, warm character, simply A1 class!!!!!

I am a proud owner of a Tjoeb '98, but for sure I am going to upgrade to the '99 version. About this possibility Mr. Van den Dungen already told me in March a few small changes which are absolutely worth the trouble. Depending on his words, I can rely on the fact, that it is going to be OK. I mean, that's also the way I got the Tjoeb: a. with his valuable advise and b. because of what I heard!!! The absolute top, certainly for that price! It's like with good wine. No explanation needed: it tasts good or it doesn't.

Submitted by roger a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 7, 1999

Bottom Line:
People can get really carried away by the hype of this unit.
It's not a 5-star performer in terms of overall performance,
but then how could it be when it's a cheap-o Marantz with a very clever band-aid. I'm not tying to put the Ah! Tjoeb down in any way--for the money it's a very nice product, but lets not go CRAZY about this!!!

My friend Allan, who has been raving about his Tjoeb to me for the past 3 months finally brought it over to my place so that we could compare the performance with my $4500 B.A.T. tube-output single box unit.

To be fair we plugged the units into my old "refernce" preamp, a McIntosh C-22 and powered it with both my new Sunfire and old McIntosh 240. We listened to both Allan's little KEF 102's and my Wilson WATT/puppys.

The poor little Tjoeb did a pretty nice job, but the B.A.T. out performed it in EVERY WAY!!!! Well, I know some of you will say "it should for 10 times the price!"

Well, that's the point, isn't it? I give the Tjoeb 4 stars for value and 2 stars for performance, for an overall rating of 3 stars. Not too shabby at all for a $400 player!!

This is pretty good machine and the guys at Ah! have done some real wizardry to make it sound as good as it does. BUt it is NOT serious audiophile equipment by ANY stretch of the imagination!!!

Atlantic Technology :