AH! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CD Players

4.82/5 (140 Reviews) MSRP : $749.00

CD player with vacuum tube output stage. Low jitter clock, dual mono design, two power transformers. Building blocks of easy user installable upgrades available, including a 24 bit, 192 kHz upsampler. Remote control with volume and user adjustable maximum output voltage. Output board made in Holland to ISO9001 specifications, upsampler precision made in Switzerland.

Submitted by Willem a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2012

Bottom Line:
I have bought my Njoe Tjoeb 4000 second hand and it had already the super clock in it, aswell as the direct power cord and the Tjoeb sjoes, the Tjo Upsampler was build in later by the HifiShop in the Netherlands, so mine is now a reference one with all upgrades.
What can i say? It is a remarkable CD player with a non compromised sound, playing on my Accuphase E405 with the Kef XQ40 speakers and AudioQuest cables it is really beautiful. I have owned a Accuphase DP80L - DC 81L CD player witch cost 20 years ago more than 10.000 euro's. I think this Njoe Tjoeb 4000 is not mutch lesser than the Accuphase. Yes, the standard Marantz housing of Njoe Tjoeb is a whole different story, the build quality is less, and you can often see little on the display (especially when the sun shines), but the music that this cheap CD player makes is outstanding! This is a great machine, if you can find one second hand in a good condition, buy it! O... i also bought a second Marantz CD4000 in good condition for 30 euro's, so i have spare parts for the future,
and the AH! Njoe Tjoeb parts are still available = http://durobblog.com/2012/04/26/value-added-service/

Submitted by Harding Conn a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2011

Bottom Line:
I would simply like to add to the positive reviews already posted regarding this excellent product. I purchased this player several years ago from Upscale Audio and it is truly one fine component. I've gone the upgrade route to include the enhanced feet, power cord and upsampler board as well as some tube dampers. To me the most compelling part of the player's performance is in the midrange--both male and female vocals are presented intimately with a liquid smoothness. I am presently using it in a home office setup with the following components:

Yahama AX-596 amp
Marantz 2020 Tuner
Polk LSI-9 Speakers on Sanus Stands
Nakamichi Speaker Cables

I contacted Kevin Deal once during the upgrade process which I did myself as I had questions about the installation process. Kevin was very helpful and I was able to complete the upgrades in a short amount of time.

If you are looking for an excellent CD < $1,000 this one merits your attention.

Submitted by XUM a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2009

Bottom Line:
Price paid in 2007 (Brussels): € 700,00 (second hand)

Summery:

Recently I put my Njoe Tjoeb 4000 side by side with a comparable Marantz transport, but what a difference in the sound richness! With its two N.O.S. goldpins Telefunken, its special chord and feet, the Njoe Tjoeb sounds particularly full and open, sings easily with some beautiful harmonics and materiality in the midrange of my demanding Tannoy Gold monitors. 10 years after its conception, this model remains an evident value for music lovers and musicians who well know the live music "urgency". Well, in certain circumpstances, the Denon DL-103 of my turntable can battle the Njoe Tjoeb on this criteria. A CD remains a CD... But I don't change this player!

Strenghts: natural rich colored sound with excellent soundstage openess and enregy. Good presence but no listening fatigue.

Weaknesses: none at that price! In the absolute: a little lack of definition (1999 converters' conception...), a bit systematic tube coloration, a cheap presentation.

Submitted by mreinh8936 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2009

Bottom Line:
YADA YADA YADA....Everyone is right...Its awesome...enough said....So many say that at this price point.....its hard to find a better player...I have to agree and disagree. Depends upon the tubes living within it. I think it would be hard to find a better sounding player at any price point. This is a recent epiphany for me having owned this unit for 5 years. Bought this unit off audiogon from an Australian living in Canada...hmmm go figure...it had Sovtek 6922 tubes in it at the time and sounded nice...with these tubes I knew other units might sound better..Got some RCA Jans from Kevin Deal...they're nice too. Having recently retubed my Sunfire Classic tube preamp with Amperex Bugle Boys...I was tickled pink with the B boys improving the Sonic performance of my sytem. Alright..thought I'd try some in this player.....OMG!!! WOW! NICE!!!!!!! The Bugle Boys in this unit are a sonic match made in heaven. Reallyreally. A couple of points tho on the unit I might address is that the players upsampler is a bit fragile. When you socket the pins into place, BE CAREFUL!
Also, I have replaced the upsampler twice now...this last time a pretty little penny.....is this player worth the occaisional upsampler swap? YOU BET! Kevins tubes are a bit pricey tho....I've found my Obewan / Tube Guru and am now getting some interconnects from Da Man...........RCA Analog Xhadows...can't wait!

Submitted by s_d_gilchrist a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2009

Bottom Line:
Like many here, I upgraded from the Tjoeb 99.

That player was a sound bargain that is hard to match. The 4000 is a much better player. It starts with a better donor unit, it uses higher tech, it has several new tweaks that positively affect its presentation, and you can buy a very good upsampling unit that plugs in ahead of the tube output stage. I wouldn't use this as a preamp, since its volume control occurs in the digital realm and by cutting volume you are cutting resolution. I used my '99 quite successfully as its own preamp. But I have a bigger budget now, so I took the plunge a year ago.

There are a lot of transports out there now, and just about everybody gives you the opportunity to play cds in your dvd player and decode them in your processor. If it's really good, you may get great cd sound without having to buy a great cd player.

That's not what I use this for. It's in my office with a Musical Fidelity integrated amp and a pair of fully restored KEF 104/2 floorstanders, hooked together with competent cabling that is not out-of-this-world expensive. The system sounds really, really good. Remember there is less than 3000 bucks here. You can do a $3k office system in numerous ways, from simple like this to very elaborate. I find that the simple works great. I've always loved the top-to-bottom greatness of the best from KEF--and the 104/2 is their all-time best. I got these for $300 and got them restored for another $350. They sound like new and look very nice.

The MuFi does what MuFi does. It sounds great and provides enormous control, speed, punch and visceral slam. It is the most expensive part of the system and is worth it. I recommend you pair Ah! with any Musical Fidelity integrated amp. MuFi is reverent about tubes and its components play very nice with other tube gear.

The KEFs debuted at the height of the Marantz/Kenwood/Sansui mega-receiver wattage wars in the 1970s. They were a different breed then, when everybody was pumping JBL, Altec and Klipsch.

Compared to those hi-fi approaches, KEF is a lightweight--meaning champagne instead of beer. The big American speaker boys at Cerwin-Vega and the aforementioned companies would punch you in the gut. KEF could resolve complex musical passages in realistic ways and were not interested in blowing out your windows with overpowering amounts of bass.

There are speakers out there now that can destroy the sound of these KEFs, but you should see their price. Nothing in the $650 price point can compare. People think my stereo is an audiophile system. I tell them I'm an audiophile, but I can't afford audiophile gear, so this is what I have--and I really like it.

How many other $1k CD players are out there that can compete with the Tjoeb 4000? You know, I've looked. I don't think there are any. I've heard some mighty sweet sounds from CD players that would probably sound better than by 4000 in my system. But like speakers that can beat my KEFs, you should see the price. I haven't found anything--not ANYTHING--that can compete on the same price field as this player. I had that '99 for seven years and I'd still have it today if the transport hadn't started getting skippy and the display hadn't started wearing out.

In those seven years I looked for the budget player that would blow away my Tjoeb. There's quite a few tubed front end players coming from Chinese upstarts in the hi-fi world. Listened to some. They sound pretty good. But only their megabuck contenders could compare with my little Marantz-badged Tjoeb. So I stuck with it until I simply had to replace it. I didn't have my heart set on the 4000. I would have bought any player that sounded the best for my budget.

After about a year of searching, I settled on the 4000, and now, these many months later, I'm glad I did. If you like liquid midrange and non-fatiguing sound without the crazy price, here's your player. I'd say look for it in the used market, but that's a fantasy. Go to upscale audio and buy your own.

Product model year:   2007

Just Ordered an Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000 With Upsampler Tube CD player

I just got an incredible buy on a used in very good condition Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000 Super Mod CD player with upsampler which I got on Audiogon for $850 including shipping, remote & manual. I think this retails for close to $1500 with the modifications & upsampler. If anyone has this player or has hear ... Read More »

What is Burn In & An Upsampler- Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CD Player?

Would appreciate someone explaining & clarifying what burn in & an Upsampler is as I was reading about an Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000 Cd Player & people were raving about it provided it had plenty of burn in & an upsampler. Lets start with burn in. What exactly does that mean. They say the 4000 needs 200 ... Read More »

Ah NJoe TJoeb 4000 CD player problem

Hi there I have owned one of these fine TUbe output CD players for about 4 years now, all was well up until this morning and i would be very appreciative of any insights you may have. I bought a CD, that i played this morning and i could only hear the right channel. Now stupidly I took the cov ... Read More »

Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CD or Music Hall CD25 CD players?

Hello, I'm interested in purchasing either the Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 or the Music Hall CD25 (possibly modded by Underwood HiFi) & a new integrated amplifier & speakers. Any suggestions as to which amp & speakers that would make the Ah! or the CD25 shine? Thanks in advance, MichaelRead More »

Atlantic Technology :