Adcom GCD-700 CD Players

3.94/5 (78 Reviews) MSRP : $700.00

5 disc changer, dual 20-bit Burr-Brown ladder D/A converters

Submitted by Rob a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2014

Bottom Line:
I've had my Adcom GCD-700 5-Disc CD Changer for almost 18 years now. It's paired with a Luxman integrated amp and Definitive Technology speakers. This is a long term evaluation, of course, as the Adcom CD changer is a number of years off the market. But it might help influence omeone looking at a used one. I don't think there is any CD changer still on the market as good as this Adcom! Back in the day, I comparison shopped extensively and heard quite a number of A versus B demos, some blinded. I was blown away by the Adcom. The clarity & sharpness of the 20 bit Class A analog circuitry never fails to astound me, it's like the first taste of a high end Bordeaux every time I turn on my system! It does have some mechanical sounds when the turntable rotates but I live with that noise to get excellent sound reproduction. I did have a turntable failure episode just recently but figured out it was a fuse. I took off the case, pulled out the turntable and the fuses were then visible. I tested them all with a meter and found one to be bad. Relatively easy fix and I'm still thoroughly enjoying my Adcom!

Submitted by joe q a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2013

Bottom Line:
i would hate to replace the gcd 700, i love the way it sounds and the way it looks, the front look matches that of my anthem statement d2; had it since 1995.
still love it.

Submitted by twotus a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2012

Bottom Line:
Wonderful sound-even nowadays! Kinda weak on "home burned" discs-never tracked them well..skipping. CD's need to be heavy & thick to stay in the tray. Love the "variable" output. If you own good amp & speakers, this feature really brings out their BEST, since you are bypassing your stereo's pre-amp section. In our contemporary world of MP3, home theatre, and digital surrond,etc; it's still very rewarding to listen to equipment on a much higher end than that which we find at the chain stores!

Submitted by Lawrence a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2007

Bottom Line:
Well like most have stated here, the Adcom GCD-700 is fine sounding player. Well, at least I thought it was.

I've owned mine for over 10 years. The only problem I had mechanically was the drawer/tray would stop operating for no apparent reason. Taking the cover off for a look see I noticed 6 small fuses on the board. Sure enough, after testing, one of the fuses was bad. I replaced it and all worked fine. This happened a few times through the years. But, just the other day the unit would not play. The light on the button lights up but nothing happens. So I'm thinking that its just another blown fuse. Not the case. All fuses tested fine. Now what? Some micro processor gone bad? I'm not a service technician so the thing is usless now. Would cost more to fix than its worth.

But, here's the kicker! I still wanted music so I hooked up my Sony DV-S2 DVD player ($120.00) to the pre-amp. I was not expecting much as far as sound quality compared to the $700.00 Adcom. But to my surprise that thing sounded BETTER than the Adcom. I'm thinking that just can't be but I've been listening to much of my favorites that I know VERY well and its there. Go figure.

Purchased At:   sound seller

Submitted by gary hoeper a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have used the gcd-700 since 1995 Although the build quality seems poor with a very noisy disk tray. I have had no problems with unit pysical or otherwise. The sound is excellent, great sound stage, and vocals. You need good stuff downstream to appreciate the quality. I use a hafler 9300 power amp which does it justice, but would probably sound even better with an upgrade from the Yamaha pre-amp and Altec Lansing speakers. Godd interconnects and speaker cable also a must to get the most out of this player.

Purchased At:   audio expressions