Adcom GCD-700 CD Players

3.92/5 (77 Reviews) MSRP : $700.00

5 disc changer, dual 20-bit Burr-Brown ladder D/A converters

Submitted by joe q a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2013

Bottom Line:
i would hate to replace the gcd 700, i love the way it sounds and the way it looks, the front look matches that of my anthem statement d2; had it since 1995.
still love it.

Submitted by twotus a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2012

Bottom Line:
Wonderful sound-even nowadays! Kinda weak on "home burned" discs-never tracked them well..skipping. CD's need to be heavy & thick to stay in the tray. Love the "variable" output. If you own good amp & speakers, this feature really brings out their BEST, since you are bypassing your stereo's pre-amp section. In our contemporary world of MP3, home theatre, and digital surrond,etc; it's still very rewarding to listen to equipment on a much higher end than that which we find at the chain stores!

Submitted by Lawrence a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2007

Bottom Line:
Well like most have stated here, the Adcom GCD-700 is fine sounding player. Well, at least I thought it was.

I've owned mine for over 10 years. The only problem I had mechanically was the drawer/tray would stop operating for no apparent reason. Taking the cover off for a look see I noticed 6 small fuses on the board. Sure enough, after testing, one of the fuses was bad. I replaced it and all worked fine. This happened a few times through the years. But, just the other day the unit would not play. The light on the button lights up but nothing happens. So I'm thinking that its just another blown fuse. Not the case. All fuses tested fine. Now what? Some micro processor gone bad? I'm not a service technician so the thing is usless now. Would cost more to fix than its worth.

But, here's the kicker! I still wanted music so I hooked up my Sony DV-S2 DVD player ($120.00) to the pre-amp. I was not expecting much as far as sound quality compared to the $700.00 Adcom. But to my surprise that thing sounded BETTER than the Adcom. I'm thinking that just can't be but I've been listening to much of my favorites that I know VERY well and its there. Go figure.

Purchased At:   sound seller

Submitted by gary hoeper a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have used the gcd-700 since 1995 Although the build quality seems poor with a very noisy disk tray. I have had no problems with unit pysical or otherwise. The sound is excellent, great sound stage, and vocals. You need good stuff downstream to appreciate the quality. I use a hafler 9300 power amp which does it justice, but would probably sound even better with an upgrade from the Yamaha pre-amp and Altec Lansing speakers. Godd interconnects and speaker cable also a must to get the most out of this player.

Purchased At:   audio expressions

Submitted by rglenny a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2003

Bottom Line:
The unit sounded very good - when it worked. Had the attributes others describe hear - tight extended bass, good detail without fatiguing treble etctetc. BUT, endless problems. Tray jamming, or just not opening. Controls both on the front panel and via remote rendered useless. Have to open up the machine to get my discs out. Take it the dealer, get it back after 6 weeks supposedly repaired. They fixed somthing with the drawer mechanism that caused a fuse to blow so they told me. Checked it at the shop before I left and noticed a grinding sound when switching to discs 4 and 5. Had them note it before I left and said I would give it a try, but wasn't optomistic. 3 weeks later the machine was locking up again, same problems - no response to controls, drawer jammed shut. Un;ugged it and left it for a day, plugged it back in. Worked for a day or 2, then locked up again. Took it back AGAIN for repair. It's been gone for over 3 months. Numerous calls etc. have yielded no resolution. Still waiting for parts. I will never buy another Adcom product agaiun, or anything from Kromer. Worst customer service experience I can recall in my lifetime.

Purchased At:   Kromer Radio