Adcom GCD-600 CD Players

3.26/5 (19 Reviews) MSRP : $600.00

16-bit CD player

Submitted by Mike Tewksbury a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2011

Bottom Line:
Junk! The machine crapped out under warranty and I was charged anyway to replace the CPU. It ran for about 12 years or so and it malfunctioned again. This machine has bee around for years and others have also commented about its reliability. I'm throwing it in the trash rather than being ripped off again for a repair that is obviously a design problem.

Submitted by lenhoffcpa@yahoo.com a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2006

Bottom Line:
I bought this as part of a system for the amps. I kept in in the basement for 3 months and finally hooked it up.

Compared to my Sony 70ES, it is noticably more natural and detailed. I will not speak to reliability but just hope the reliability issue doesn't hit me. Otherwise, it is a very warm (like ROTEL) but dynamic (like NAD) piece of equipment.

Purchased At:   Second Hand

Submitted by Leonard a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2002

Bottom Line:
Follow-up to original review. During the 18 months I have owned this unit, it has been in the shop twice for over 4 months. It is now broken again with the same problem that it had the last two times (transport controls). It's unfortunate that these units are so unreliable - When they work they sound very good. I doubt that I'll ever purchase any Adcom products in the future based upon this experience.

Submitted by David a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have owned this CD changer since 1993 and it has been great. I don't use it every day anymore (mostly because of the digital music channels on DirecTV), but I have never had a problem with it in the 8+ years I've owned it. I find the sound to be excellent. FYI, I have it paired with virtually all Adcom equipment: GTP-550 tuner, GFA-555 II amp, GFA 5503 amp, Klipsch Chorus II and Klipsh KG 4.5 speakers.

Purchased At:   Home Entertainment

Submitted by Adji a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2001

Bottom Line:
- They all are great even produced in 1995. (I play 3 hours a day)
- The optic is still great.
- The noisy tray can be repair by giving a plastic grease. (Be carefull when open the ADCOM logo at the center of the tray...)

Sennheiser: