Acurus ACD-11 CD Players

4.1/5 (30 Reviews) MSRP : $899.00

Frequency Response: 5Hz-20kHz +0.3dB, Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.005%, Signal to Noise Ratio: 100 dB A weighted, Dynamic Range:92 dB, Channel Separation: 88 dB

Submitted by Audio Ben a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2017

Bottom Line:
Bought my unit used about 4 years ago, my wife thought way too much money for used electronics needless to say her attitude has changed with hundreds and hundreds maybe a thousand plus CDs under its' belt and who knows how many before we bought it, Flawless operation and beautiful uncolored music and it plays on today !

Submitted by ArmyDicked a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2017

Bottom Line:
I H-A-T-E People like me. We've all experienced the type. THE REVERSE BRAGGARD. Anyone can BRAG about the $10,000.00 ROLEX WATCH they just bought. But go up to people and say "Like my new ROLEX Watch? My Aunt caught my Uncle cheating on her and just sold it to me for $100.00!!! Anyone want to go for a ride in my new $500.00 Ferrari F50?

You SEE Acurus a-n-y-t-h-I-n-g, you buy it. Why is that? THINK OF WHAT MATTERS MOST: DESIGN, BUILD QUALITY, MILSPEC PARTS UNDER THE HOOD, LONGIVITY, AFFORDABILITY. Purchased brand new with a 10% discount no less, my 22 year old Acurus RL11 Line Stage Pre-Amp and matching Acurus A150 amp are still going strong. When my 25 year old ADCOM GCD 575 gave up the ghost, I needed an inexpensive CD player because, like, who buys CDs these days?---Everyone I know downloads music for free else goes to the library and rip CDs directly to their Laptops..not to say I would do such a thing because, well---I HAVE INTEGRITY (cough, cough)!!!

Before I get all weepy eyed and humiliate myself by totally fawning over this product, let me first state that I only paid $166.00 for a MINT CONDITION Acurus ADC11 which is less than dinner for two at a certain unmentioned San Francisco Steak House. Are you green with envy yet? Read on.

First, my 1997 era Acurus ACD11 is EASILY a 2017 $5,000.00 dedicated CD TRANSPORT. Why is that. Mondail Designs approached the design question as solving the VIBRATION ISSUE first & foremost. That means 20 lbs of steel with internal vibration buffers and a rock solid CD TRANSPORT.

Second, although it comes with a 'Good Enough for your Broke self' 1 Bit DAC, you are not a 'REAL AUDIOPHILE' unless you use a dedicated outboard DAC on your CD player via an audio grade Digital Coaxe cable & upgraded audio power cord as connected to a dedicated Line Conditioner.

Third, it has a massive power supply (internal). Combine the two and you get GRAVE YARD SILENCE around the notes, more shimmer off the Ziidian High Hats, better soundstage & better accuracy in resolution.

01JUN2017 was the 50th Anno of the Release of SGT PAPER and my Acurus ACD 11 transported me back to Abby Roads Studios as if it were an episode on STARTREK.. Remember the final cord in DAY IN THE LIFE?

With a ROTEL or a NAD or an OPPO or a SONY or a REGA or a MARANTZ, You H-E-A-R absolute PERFECTION---you can actually reach out and touch the face of GOD. WIth the Acurus ACD11, you H-E-A-R the Air Conditioning go on and the piano bench squeak as Ringo sat down on it!!! [FYI, George Martin had me escorted out of the building when I screamed 'YOU RUINED THE TAKE, DICK!!!. Never ask a Drummer to do anything but play drums, Go ahead, Martin---tell RINGO how he messed up Johnny's Song!!!"] . My used Acurus ACD11 is a virtual TIME MACHINE allowing me to go anywhere from the privacy of my 'MUSIC OBSERVATORY' and be that UGLY American making snide comments.

Does the Acurus ACD 11 have any negatives? Not at the price I paid for it. But at $900.00 (1997 dollars) Y-E-S, the pea green yellow digital screen is hard on the eyes in a darken room and perhaps the lay out of the half moon program buttons are a bit COUNTER-INTUTIVE. In defence of my review, I quote Vice Principle Edward Rooney (Ferris Bueller's Day Off.) who said, and I qoute: 'Yeah, well Suck it up; ButterCup!!!'

This is the LAST CD PLAYER you will ever need especially when CDs are projected to be withdrawn from the market by 2025. Play CDs until you can't stand them anymore then buy a good, used DAC. Then confine your player & CD Collection to the back of your closet with your Cassette Tape Collection and your 8TRACK Collection:

My ANCIENT LEGACY SYSTEM (until I will the Lottery or Something):

SYSTEMDEK IIx [Taken out of storage, first purchased JUN1986 I have receipts)
LINN BASIK + (modified)
Bellari VP129 Phone with Mullard 12AUX7 valve
Acurus RL 11 Line Stage Preamp
Acurus A150 Amp
NHT 1.3A satellite Speakers BIAMPED into an ENERGY EPS 150 Sub
STAX Lamda Jr/SR34 phones.
StandDesign Rack & Speaker Stands
Panamax 5300 Line Conditioner/Surge Protector

Submitted by isopod a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have enjoyed the ACD-11 for many years without significant problems. Only concern is that the transport does not read a CD every now and then. ( 1 time per year) Keep the unit on all the time for best listening. The inboard D/A is quite alright but I upgraded to the Aragon D2A2 and was amazed at the improvement. Use a high quality power cord and ac filter device for best results. Would buy any Acurus or Aragon product new or used based on my very satisfactory experience with the six units of theirs that I own.

Purchased At:   Audio Excellence, Th

Submitted by leonard356 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have always been a fan of Acurus/Aragon equipment for their build quality, looks, and most of all sound quality. Over the last two years I have moved back from a combined home theater/music system to a separate music only system. It was easy to decide what audio compnents I wanted for amp and preamp (Aragon), but choosing a CD player was more dificult as I really wanted the convienance of a 5 disc changer. My first attempt was with a Harman Kardon 8550 unit. It wasn't bad for the price I paid, but quickly proved to be the weak link in the system. The next attempt was with an Adcom GCD 600 unit. When it worked, it was a great sounding unit. Unfortunately it was in the shop more than it was in my home. I finally decided on a single disc unit and as Aragon didn't make a CD player, I purchased the Acurus.

I am sure that there are better units availabe, but at its price point you'd be hard pressed to find a better overall performer. The transport is rock-solid and will play many discs that skip on others. The sound quality is also very good - I have it connected directly to my preamp and also to my Aragon D2A2 DAC. When I A/B the two, there is little difference in the sound quality. Obviously Acurus spent a little money on the audio section of the player and not just the transport.

The unit looks very nice and once you get used to the control placement, functions well also. My only complaint about the unit is the display - It's nice that you can turn it off from the remote, but if you're more than a couple of feet away from the unit you can't ready the display anyway.

Overall, a great sounding, well built unit that should last you for years. It can perform as a stand alone unit or as a transport equally well. It's a shame that the whole Acurus line appears to be lost with the acquistion of Mondial Designs by Klipsch.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by Kevin a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2002

Bottom Line:
Your sound system is only as good as It's weakest Link, Period. Any reviewers that gave poor reviewes of this product are missing something in the sound process. With quality Amplification,Cables,Speakers and even a good Power cord this Acurus Player playes music with terrific warmth and detail.It also has great imaging and seperation. Aside from that it is a great transport if you want to use a DAC with it. For the current used prices this unit is a steal.I am a classical musician with perfect pitch and wicked sensitive ears. I like what I am hearing with this player.I will end up using it as a transport but I can't say enough about it as as a stand alone player.Sound really great with stand mounted monitors. I am using Sonus Faber Concerto's and they really have taken on a nice warmth with this player.The build is industrial too which I appreciate. The display could be a bit more visible but it provides all the needed info.And hey, It's built here in the US and most audiophiles know what country builds the very best stereo equiptment.(US)
If you can grab one of these you won't regret it.Just remember to read the first sentence of this review again before you make your assesment.

Purchased At:   online