Accuphase DP-77 CD Players

• High-grade playback not only of SACDs but also of conventional CDs
  • Single lens/twin pickup high-speed access mechanism
  • Digital processor ready for 2.8224 MHz/1 bit and 192 kHz/24-bit source formats
  • MDS Plus type D/A converter with ultimate conversion precision
  • Transport section outputs and digital inputs
  • HS-Link capability via option board

Submitted by huseyin demircan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2008

Bottom Line:
I own this product since about 1.5 yrs. It is simply amazing. I have gone through all my CDs and SACDs, and each time I was amazed how different (and startlingly superior) they sounded than before. I have used a number of CD players including marantz, Meridian and Krell, but none were even close. When I was listening some of my familiar and favorite CDs it happened that I stopped and checked the CD inside the player, because it sounded like I was hearing it the first time. So much detail, three dimensionality and most of all believeability was there.. Tonal colors are very accurate, soundstage is extremely deep and wide, and presentation is just smooouthhh.. Seperation of the instruments is superb, background noise is very very low. (non existent may be a better description, especially when used with Accuphase amplification) . In my own test, I turned the volume fully up, when both units were on but music was paused, and could only hear a slight hiss from to the loudspeakers when my ear was at 20 cm distance.
I think the only weakness of this superbly built and excellent sounding player may be the not so special CD tray mechanism. it works flawlessly and silently, but anyhow it looks like an off the shelf plastic mechanism used in many ordinary CD players. At this price point one would expect a more sophisticated and high tech mechanism.
Maybe because of this, DP 77 benefits a lot from vibration damping efforts. In my case, spikes did not work well, but ball bearing types (aurios isolation bearings ) worked wonders. The already excellent sound transformed to another level: more palpable, more airy, with tight and well defined bass, and vocals stood out from the stage more clearly as if they were energized.
Overall, this is a superb CD player which makes me wonder if anything can get better than this, and if yes how worthwile can it be..

Purchased At:   Turkey

Submitted by macdisk a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2008

Bottom Line:
I own this player now for 2 months and I have to say, that it´s the best digital sounding machine I´ve been listening up to now. I had a DP-67 redbook player with which I was quite happy for more than one year, but the DP-77 is in a different league: Soundstage is much deeper, it brings out more details than the 67, which still is a very good player. Sound of the 77 is very smooth, more "analog", with a very deep bass range and tremendous silky trebles. I didn´t expect that SACDs could bring out even more sound. But they do! Listening to the SACD with Mahlers 3. Symphony
by San Francisco S.O. conducted by Tilson-Thomas is breath-taking!

The quality of building is excellent, it´s a pleasure to touch the buttons. I can´t imagine that digital sources can sound much better than with this player...

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by wagnerian a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2007

Bottom Line:

I have been using this gorgeous Accuphase for 1 year & I felt it's time to share my experience with others.

I was searching the best CDP as my cd collection grew up although I still prefered my Linn LP-12 with Ekos & Benz cartridge set up. Never loved the cd sound or SACD sound. Then I came across DP-100 & DC-101 set up and I was deeply impressed. Before this set up, I had heard many premium brands CDP and liked a lot Wadia 581. (other brands like Linn, Mcintosh, Goldmund, Krell.... all great but nothing came. However, I felt Marantz SA11 was the best value - only $2900 at the dealer. If someone's budget is under $3000, I would strongly recommend that SACDP. Krell was the worst to me & Gold mund was way overpriced.)
After listening Accuphase DP-100 & DC-101 set up, I asked auditioning next models as my budget was under 10K. DP-85 & DP-77 came though DP-85 was little bit over $10K. This one box DP-77 40 pounder beauty immediately catched my eyes & ears. I was almost buying Wadia. But this cdp really made me just dig into music. I ddin't expect a lot as DP-100 set up was $25K. but, this $6500 one was really great considering its price.(I was lucky to get this CDP when its price dropped $1500 due to the new DP-78. Originally it was $8000 plus tax. ) After trying a couple of red book cds. I tested with a few SACDs. I wouldn't express like jaw dropping something... It was like analog whether on Red book or on SACD which I couldn't feel on Wadia 581(581 was really great but it was still digital sound... but digital sound at its best with Dcs verdi set up)

I used to listen LPs & cds with 8:2 ratio before this DP-77. now I find myself more often listening this beauty though I still have less than 30 SACD while my cd collections reach around 1000.

I am not going to describe about its sonic as stereophile magazine reviewed DP-85 well which was almost identical wiith this. Listening is believing. This means you might prefer Wadia 581 unlike me. It's subjective thing to describe sonic side. However, To me, this cdp was the most natural & beatiful sounding machine under $10K.

Hats off to Accuphase. Period.

Purchased At:   local