Parasound DAC 2000 ULTRA
Description: Hi End DAC with HDCD

Submitted by cozmicdiabolic a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2010

Bottom Line:
This DAC is the best known secret in DAC's out there. I have played so many in my system and some costing $3000+ (hint: Audio Note and Acoustic Alchemy) and this DAC kills them. I've also had Music Hall 2.5 and Audio Mirror DAC'S and this KILLS them - hands down. Not even close. I had the 1600HD before and it was very good, certainly comparable to the aforementioned, but when I got this one the others even though more expensive, don't even come close. If you happen upon one, jump on it and thank me later. This is the most under-valued product I have ever owned.

Submitted by pig00_ca a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is for Parasound DAC 1600. I brought this unit from an online store. As soon as I hook it up, both my wife and myself can hear the differences. It is quiet, perhaps because I am using ST glass connector. The bass is deeper and more solid. The high and mid is clearer. It made my entire Hi-Fi system go even higher. I would say it is the best investment I have ever made.

Purchased At:   Online Store

Submitted by starguygwb a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is for the D/AC-1600 HD, since I can't seem to find more than one product in this catagory from parasound, I will write it here. This product has allowed me to hear what i've been missing using my Rotel cd player. I just wish the hdcd format had more material. As soon as I hooked it up I heard things as never before and without knowing it my foot started tapping to the music. Also improved the soundstage and image.

Submitted by Juan Prieto a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
My best buy ever in an audio component. Got it 2 years ago in a Parasound clearance (Audio Advisor) for around $ 800, (vs. its list price of 2000). In short, an absolutely outstanding D/A converter, in a class of its own, and far superior to anything that I have heard before (or since). I agree that this converter achieves its design goals: to reach the maximum possible sound quality with the 16/44 medium (in fact, it is capable of 20/48).

Its sound ? Transparent highs, natural midrange, very deep bass, exceptional imaging, a dynamic yet delicate, "classy" sound that sets it apart from the crowd.

Not to be mated with a cheap player, however, it is very sensitive to "low quality" signals and will inmediately reveal weaknesess in the preceding component or source material. Will benefit (of course) from a good transport, one that can provide a clean, jitter free signal.

In addition, build quality is excellent and it has a full complement of I/O possibilities. I feed mine thru both its AES/EBU (preferred) and S/PDIF inputs.

I think it is very hard to beat at its price, (perhaps you can get one today for 500-600, a true steal) So if you see one, go for it ¡¡

Submitted by Alan Dana a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2001

Bottom Line:
Superb implementation of a DAC designed to maximize the sound of 16/44 CDs. Even at original list of $2000 this was an excellent deal - competing with DACs in the $4000 to $6000 range. I directly compared it with a competing $3500 DAC and considered the Parasound a clear winner over it.

Biggest strength is the unit's phenomenal transparency and detail. This is not a unit that will appeal to those looking for a very smooth, rolled-off top end.

After you get through noticing all of the extra high frequency information on your CDs, then you will eventually notice how solid & well-defined your lows are. String bass is glorious, with each string hanging out there in your living room reverberating.

Instruments and voices sound very natural. It moved my system one step closer to sounding like live music. Dynamics are excellent too. Rock guitar, drums, and orchestra all have punch.

I've had a number of DACs and CD players in my system. Over the years the most consistent theme was in how they sounded so much alike, sometimes taking days to discern small, subtle differences. But when I hooked up the D/AC-2000, the effect was immediate and wonderful.

I picked mine up during the Parasound clearance, as they got out of the DAC market. Paid 50% of list and still got the full factory warranty.