KEF Reference 202c
Description: As with the 204c, UNI-Q’s single point source effect really comes into its own in the 202c. Pinpointing screen dialogue with great accuracy within the sound stage – and when flanked by a pair of KEF’s 165mm (6 1/2") ultra low distortion bass drivers, the combined effect is to immerse the viewer in a detailed soundscape that’s as lucid as it is involving.

Submitted by sbul2020 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2008

Bottom Line:
Picked the 202c up in cherry to match my 205s in the front. Outstanding center, very clear and intelligible for dialogue. Gorgeous looks. I, too would have liked the 204c monster, but it's fairly impractical for me as my theater isn't the largest. Works great for multi-channel music as well. Good power handling capabilities. Driving mine with a McIntosh MC7106 Multi-channel amp with two channels bridged to 300 wpc.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by Mark a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2007

Bottom Line:
I purchased the KEF 202c at an internet site. Let me note I had been a fan of KEF since I purchased a pair of 105.4's back in the early 80's. I was trying to replace a Bose center channel speaker that seemed to be holding back the rest of my system. I'll also note that my system was purchased for music and became my HT system seconday. The Bose was an afterthought................... but when I added a Panasonic 65" plasma, things changed. Now my system is used 85% of the time on HT.
After repeated sales people beat my head against the wall and pointed out the about 70% of the sound from the HT comes out of the center channel I decided to break down and buy a new speaker. I did various side by side comparisons (not all at the same time) with B&W, Jm Lab, Tannoy, Paradigm and several "cheaper" (Klipsh - mass market garbage) brands I kept coming back to the KEF units. It might be my personal taste but I love the British speaker lines that seem to give a smoother sound. I no matter what I looked at I kept coming back to the KEF line.
I would have loved to get the KEF 204c, but at $5000 list and few people willing to knock anything off the price, I settled for the 202c ($2000 list). But, please don't take the word settled above to mean this speaker is anything less that outstanding. Unless it is side by side with the 204c, this speaker outclasses anything I heard in a similar price range. Once hooked up to my system it changed the entire sound of my HT system. It is incredible what I was missing by using a generic center channel speaker. Not to get off subject, but after checking some of the "bad" press online about Bose I now understand why. Bose seems to put out garbage and then advertise so heavily to tell everybody how great thier product is..............
There is no comparison, the KEF 202c was hands down the best center channel speaker I heard in the $1000 to $2000 price range

Purchased At:   online