Infinity Systems Alpha Center
Description: Center Channel Speaker Voice-matched for Infinity Alpha speakers, frequency response 55-22,000 H

Submitted by J*E*Cole a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2004

Bottom Line:
Like the Infinity Alpha 50 mains and Alpha 40 surrounds that comprise my home theater and more importantly, my home stereo system, this Alpha center channel speaker is very impressive. Of course it is voice matched for the Alpha line of speakers and therefore transitions are seamless. It has the same rugged build quality and heft as the others, and it's good looks are sure to never date. It also uses the same technologies as are on the other Alphas, namely the CMMD or Ceramic Metal Matrix Diaphragm woofers of which there are two 5 1/4's and one 1" tweeter in a bass reflex enclosure. Power handling is 150 watts and frequency response is 55Hz - 22kHz. Just like my other Alphas, this one sounded quite metallic and muffled for about 3 to 5 minutes, then began to mellow out, and as I have continued using it over the course of a month, the soundstage continues to develop. By now, they all are "broken in" to their environment and together they sound quite remarkable. I could not be more pleased. What's interesting is that I paid more for the Alpha 40's than the 50's because I bought them when they first came out, but caught the 50's and the Alpha center on clearance at Circuit City. All together I have spent about $1000.00 for the five Alpha series speakers I now have. From simply a sound standpoint, I believe this to be a bargain. I am most impressed with these Alpha speakers and would certainly recommend them without reserve. But back to the center speaker. Before I bought the Alpha center, I was using one of those ugly, cheesey, plasticky Bose center speakers that at the time I thought to be a good speaker. Well was I ever wrong on that one. This Infinity blows it away on every level. I could not believe what I was missing by using that Bose. I think I will relegate it to use as part of my bedroom system. Of special note is the amount of low frequency sound this Alpha center is capable of. I could not believe how much low end sound was coming from this center speaker. With only 5 1/4" woofers, it is quite amazing, and it was extremely tight and well placed, and the highs were crystal clear and blended perfectly. All in all, this was an excellent bargain, and the perfect complement to my system, which by the way now consists entirely of Harman Audio brand products.

Purchased At:   Circuit City