Energy Speaker Systems EC-100

Submitted by Jim a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2000

Bottom Line:
I bought the EC-100 because it best matched my KEF speakers and I couldn't find a KEF dealer. Boy was that a good move. I bought the Energy EFX surrounds and ES-12 powered subwoofer and used the system happily for almost two years with a Pro Logic system. Then I upgraded to a Dolby Digital receiver with better amplification and the EC-100 really came to life. Eventually, I ran into a bargain and bought Energy C-2 fronts to replace the older KEFs. I have been using the EC-100 for about 2 months with the C-2s and still like it alot. It is natural, clear, produces good dialogue, music and effects at all volume levels. It's lack of apparent coloration makes it a good match for many front speakers. I have never noticed a difference in the sound with front pans. Although I'm tempted to upgrade to the AC-300 because it's supposed to be a better match for my C-2s, I haven't yet justified the expense. I consider the EC-100 to be a very good speaker and an excellent value.

Submitted by Alexander Lange a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 7, 1999

Bottom Line:
I have my EC-100 center speaker for over a year now. I use it in a Dolby Digital setup with Energy Pro 2.5/1.5 speakers and an Energy subwoofer.
The EC-100 blends perfectly with the speakers from the old Pro series. Dialogue is clear and good to understand. Also it has a wide dynamic range and goes right down to 60 Hz bass.
It only plays a little bit louder than the mains, but when I measured it with a sound level meter and lowered the volume -3 dB, it sounded even better to me. I really like it.

Submitted by Dan a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 27, 1999

Bottom Line:
Flat and unnatural, period. Get rid of it within a week.

Submitted by D.MacDonald a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 3, 1997

Bottom Line:
What do people want in a center channel speaker? I think that answer should Be about the same for everyone. Natural and clear reproduction of dialogue and on-screen effects. It is true that in a home theater enviornment approx 50% of the soundtrack information is heard through the center channel speaker. With that in mind I set off to purchase the best sounding center channel speaker I could afford. My self impossed limit was $300.00. As it turns out I only had to spend $200.00. Which brings me to the Energy EC-100 in all its glorry. This speaker sounds as good or better as speakers costing a full third more! The speaker consists of two 4.5 inch drivers and one 3/4 inch ferro-fluid cooled soft dome multi-laminate tweeter. Build quality is high from this ever growing Canadian company and the sound is natural and broad with not so much as a hint of a "tinny" or hollow sound. If your in the market for a moderately priced center channel speaker I think you will be pleasantly suprised with the EC-100.