Cambridge Soundworks MC200
Description: A compact two-way ""satellite"" main speaker, the MC200 is designed for easy placement, elegant appearance, and superb fidelity. The MC200's small enclosure size is surprising considering its 4-inch bass driver reaches down to below 80Hz. This makes the MC200 an ideal companion to a subwoofer in a high-performance stereo or home theater system.

Submitted by thrbek a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2002

Bottom Line:
The MC200 provides crisp highs from its silk-dome tweeter. The highs are crisp without being harsh. I was somewhat dissapointed in their lack of "presence" however. Frequencies in the 300Hz-800Hz range were muddy and unimpressive. For instance, when playing Pop or Rock, the singer's voice seemed flat and instruments like toms and piano were almost lost in the mud. I'm considering upgrading to the MC500 as I hear they are considerably better. If I had it to do over again, I'd spend a little more and get the 500's. If you have an EQ, you can make the MC200 sound decent as a center channel, but it's definately not something to "write home about."

Even after making several adjustments to my P1000 subwoofer's crossover frequency, and tweaking settings on my Yamaha RX-v800 receiver, I couldn't get the "full" sound I was looking for. Dissapointing....