Onkyo DX RD511 Dual Tray CD Recorder
Description: The DX-RD511 doesn't just make dubbing CDs easier, it makes perfect quality CDs. It also makes it easy to produce best-of compilations, as well as everlasting archives of albums and tapes for car CD players and personal stereos. It's biggest plus, though, is it considerably leverages the investment music lovers already have in their CD collections, home, car and portable CD players. With single-drive recorders, another player has to be connected to the unit in order to record onto a blank CD. Even then, unless it's a newer CD player that has a digital output, the recording is only a good analog-to-digital copy, rather than a bit-perfect digital-to-digital copy.

Submitted by Amy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have the exact same problem Jason described. The recorder works very well, but the recording tray doesn't work in playback mode. I've sent the unit in for repairs twice in one year, and both times it was sent back to me with no improvement. What's wrong with Onkyo's mechanism? I paid 500 bucks for the unit a year ago and haven't gotten much use out of it as it either doesn't play or is in the shop. I've sent it off for the third time now, but my faith in Onkyo is now zero.

Purchased At:   Canal Hi Fi

Submitted by Jason a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have been very pleased with this unit- even more so considering the price paid. The Onkyo produces higher quality copies than the Phillips unit I used. The original cds do not have to be in mint condition to get a great copy (though some scratches will leave a blank space on the recorded cd.) The only problem I have had with the unit is getting the burner side to play cds. The unit is supposed to act as a 2 cd changer- if anyone knows the answer to this problem please reply. Overall- a great cd recorder.

Purchased At:   ubid

Submitted by Mark a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2001

Bottom Line:
I never wanted to buy a refurbished product and I heard bad things about One Call but I took the chance anyway. I am very glad that I did. I recieved this unit doubled boxed within 2 days. I payed extra for the faster shipping service because you return polocy starts from the day shipped. Upon intial inspection the unit was in a factory stappled box. The unit has a very very light and minor scratch on the display witch is only viewable at certain angels, one srew missing in the back, and the coax cable with not in the package. For all of this performance and features I would have gladly payed twice the money and got a new one when they where availble. Unlike my computer I have copied 12 disks without flaw. A full CD takes about 25 minutes to complete. This is great because it does not take up desktop computer processing power unlike my PC burner. The unit has already payed for its self and looks awesome as an addition in my Onkyo rack system. One Call is listed under Huppin's Hi-Fi and is a autherized dealer for Onkyo. I have a Huppin's sales reciept. Watch out for One Calls return policy.

Factory Serviced -Factory Sealed Box Unit has been serviced by the manufacturer and shipped to One Call in a sealed box. Complete with One Year Parts and Labor Manufacturer Warranty. Onkyo is based in NJ and sells thier own refurbished units on their web site.

Purchased At:   www.onecall.com