Nakamichi MB-8
Description: cd-changer

Submitted by Egg-head a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2008

Bottom Line:
Needed to replace a dead Denon changer and heard good things about this box. Fool that I am I bought a new Denon at BB and it was flimsier than the player I replaced, so I took it back. That's when I decided to look for an older, well-built machine. I was surprised I couldn't find a better deal on the MB-8, but it's hard to find and seems to have a cult following. After 7 months of use I now understand why. The thing just works, and sounds so much better than the junk I replaced. I'm hearing more of my music on a bigger soundstage. Price-wise, I don't think anything comes near it for the look and performance.

Purchased At:   audiogon.com

Submitted by Rob a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2005

Bottom Line:
Scanning the used market for more than a year, I finally came across an MB-8 listed as "mint" in a recent eBay auction. Having watched these go for as much as $300 (WHOA! the MSRP was only $399!), I was surprised to get a late-night winning bid in at $182.

The MB-8 is a work of engineering art. The first thing that struck me was the size. Smaller than many single-disc players, it is elegant in it's simplicity. The front panel controls are basic; the display provides an informative array of programming options.

Operating the deck for the first time is intuitive--I didn't read the manual until I started programming tracks into the memory feature. Loading CD's is fast--once you get the hang of it, probably just as fast as many platter-style changers. The remote is well laid-out, transferring the "simplicity" format from the front panel.

I first routed the MB-8 thru my DAC using the optical digital connection. I wasn't pleased with the result, even after the obligatory 100 hours of break-in of the toslink line. I switched over to some good interconnects thru the analog outs, and it made a world of difference. The sound was more nuetral, with a more natural, punchy bottom and cleaner high-end. I think the soundstage actually opened up a bit as well, but that could've been a psych-job.

The sonic performance of the deck is on par with many comparably priced units--I think it came close to (but not equal to) my single-disc Rotel in many of the metrics used to measure sonic ability.

Now, the rub. I was disappointed to find that the mechanical noise from the changing mechanism was so, well, loud. I guess I expected that after about 10 years of refining the music bank technology, Nak would've managed to dampen the sound of a disc transfer. And the speed is no faster than on my platter-style NAD 515. Don't get me wrong--this is still a fine-performing mid-fi cd player. I guess my expectations for the disc-changing process (as measure by speed and noise) were above what Nak could deliver back in 1998.

Overall, this cd player gets a solid 4, based on it's unquestionable good looks, simplicity, and reasonable sonic performance. The on-board chip set is good enough to satisfy most audio enthusiasts (I'd recommend using the analog-outs).

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by Mario a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2002

Bottom Line:
Just picked up this baby and let me tell you it makes a huge difference in my system. What used to sound flat and dull now sounds alive and detailed.I Cant believe the quality of this player and it's great looks. Was not really looking for a 5 discs, but when a 5 discs sound this good why do without. I'm now relistening to my cd collection and totally enjoying it. By the way this player also plays cd'rs .

Submitted by Sean MacPherson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2002

Bottom Line:
I am very happy with the sound quality of this unit, espescially for the price i paid. However, my particular unit has had problems recognizing discs, 'fast-forwarding' without losing tracking, and it may or may not play a track when you skip to it.

The sound quality is excellent for this price. The quirks are very annoying though. The store where I bought it is being excellent about getting it back to me in 100% tip-top condition. They have loaned me a rotel rcd-961 whilst i wait. I expected the rotel to sound better than the nakamichi, and I was wrong! Which makes me pretty damn happy. I will not be trading for the rotel.

My system is a pair of B&W DM-303's connected via Monster Cable 12gauge xphp spkr wire to a harman/kardon amp with a 'no more than .03% t.h.d 20Hz-20Khz' I use a Magnat Alpha25 sub connected via the amps' L/R line outs for a sub. I am using some acoustic research interconnects between the amp and the sub...they arent the most expensive etc...but seem to do just fine. My nakamichi mb-8 was connected to the amp via a pair of Monster Cable M550-i interconnects.

My description of the system is for the purpose of saying what the Nakamichi does well: It plays the music honestly. My system has the potential to be too bright. The Nak. relays everything on the cd in a uniformed fashion. You can tell the difference between well recorded cd's and crap cd's. the channel seperation is excellent. the music comes across bold and spacious. You dont have to strain to listen for delicate nuances in music as they come across exactly how they were recorded. I have every confidence in the nakamichi.

The rotel, which I expected more from, didnt fit into my system as well...it tends to make the highs a bit splashy on SOME recordings, which sounded legible and proper on the nakamichi. I only wish the nakamichi had been constructed as well as the rotel: the nakamichi has a fixed power cord and its a typical flimsy one at that. The analog outputs could have been spaced further apart so it at least gave the illusion of being concious of keeping things isolated. And, just little touches like gold plated analog outs at least...etc etc...

The nakamichi sounds great for its price and the only reason i mention about a more concious build quality is because it makes me wonder how much more it could have been improved upon, given how impressive it is already, just the way it is.

Purchased At:   J&A Stereo

Submitted by Todd a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is a terrific CD Changer! I was ready to get rid of my Scott CD Player which I received free more than 12 years ago. Like you, I went to audioreview.com to see listeners opinions. Many reviewers talked about sound clarity and other features.

In the past, I have always thought highly of HK, Denon, Yamaha. I have been converted to a Nak fan! The reproduction is great. While I mostly now just listen to MP3s on my computer, I force myself to listen to CDs just because of the great sound. The player reproduces highs, midranges, and lows that you never knew were in the disk.

I also compared the sound from my DVD Player to the MB8, and it doesn't compare. If you listen to CDs, you need a separate component to get the most clarity from a disk.

If you find this for under $300, grab it while you can.

Purchased At:   Listenup.com