Marantz CD-48

Submitted by Andy a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2012

Bottom Line:
There is nothing to add.. It is one of the best players I ever heard. :-)

Submitted by tictic a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2003

Bottom Line:
Bought my CD48 to replace an Ariston CDX700,which I was talked into buying as a first CD.
The difference was so extreme,that I have since upgraded every part of the system I had.
I know now that the CD48 is not perfect,but for £100 u.k,it's still a great buy.It was the first time I'd heard the music really come to life on a digital format.Hearing the seperation of the highs,mids and lows was something I hadn't expereinced with the Ariston CDX700.It is solidly built,and there is plenty there for people who like buttons on their hi-fi.
The only low point is that I bought a Pioneer PDR-609 CD Recorder last year.That took me by surprise by sounding better than the CD48 on playback.It sounds sharper and clearer.It's going to be interesting hearing how it compares to the Cambridge Audio CD6,which I got for my girlfriends birthday today for,wait for it,£30 u.k.
I will still recommend the CD48 to anyone who wants to make the first step up to proper hi-fi,without paying through the nose.
The setup used is
Gale XL 315 Cable

Purchased At:   Richer Sounds

Submitted by shirasagi a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2003

Bottom Line:
At first I thought this was an unusually good player, but more extended experience has shown otherwise. This player smears the treble far too much...listen, for example, to Helen Merrill on "You'd Be So Nice To Come Home To." The S sounds are unbearable, like quick hits of sandpaper. I have an older Rotel that makes this song not only bearable but most enjoyable. Also, the musicality the Marantz initially seemed to have was artificial, like a cheap player tuned to sound really great. Which is exactly what this one, in the end analysis, is.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by Jan a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought Marantz Cd-48 together with Marantz Pm66SE amp and B&W DM601S2 speakers. The cd player has a lot of functions which I don`t use much but you never know. The sound is good for all kind of music. I`m a casual listener and I wonder if my hi-fi system match together. Decent interconnects are a must. The similarity to the Philips CD player is obvious. I don`t like design of the new Marantz cd players. This player is a great value nonetheless.

Purchased At:   local dealer

Submitted by Ian K a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2000

Bottom Line:
This was the first real CD player I ever owned. Previous to the Marantz I used a Sony 5 disc carousel but quickly traded it in search of better sound. Marantz introduced the CD-48 in 1996 so the design is over 4 years old and has since been revamped by the new millenium series.

Even now there aren't many players that match this one for features. Coaxial digitial output, fader, cassette dubbing, instant track access on the fascia, remote controlled volume plus a headphone socket with its own volume control as well). The player itself is pretty well built but the transport (sourced from parent company Philips) could slide a little more smoothly.

The sound is typically Marantz. It's not about hifi - it's about music. Treble is sweet and lush but not to the point of being syrupy, midrange smooth and coherent and bass is well defined with no muddiness or thumping of other rivals in the same price bracket. These qualities make the player very versatile. It'll sound good with well recorded mainstream pop, makes a good fist of jazz/classical and dance tracks have a nice groove to them. Its only with ballsey raw rock / heavy metal that the Marantz fails, sounding too smooth and laidback.

5 stars for value, 4 for sound