Jadis JD-3
Description: CD player w/ bitstream D/A converter

Submitted by ecclezia a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2003

Bottom Line:
I used the JD3 (standard model) as an integrated player for about three years before I added the Perpetual Technologies P-1A / P-3A DSP/DAC units in 2001. As an integrated player, I found the the presentation a little forward, with a slight over-emphasis on higher frequencies. The player sounded very forward and capable of inducing fatigue, probably due to the bitstream converter's linearity characteristics. Now used as a transport feeding the PT units, I find the presentation far more absorbing -- more low-end extension, more air, less grain and sibilance on the highs. Build quality on the chassis is first rate, although I had the laser assembly replaced under warranty.
The rest of the system is:
- Jadis JD3 CD Drive
- Perpetual Technologies P-1A/P-3A DSP/DAC (ModWright Signature)
- Monolithic Supply P3b power supply for PT components
- Graaf WFB Two Pre-amp
- Graaf 5050 Power amp
- Sonus faber Concerto Grand Piano speakers
- DH Labs digital interconnect; Transparent Cable; MIT; Yamamura speaker cables

Submitted by Rick a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have the JD-3 Delux, with the tube output section. When I did my auditioning, I heard nothing that gave me clarity and presence that the Jadis did. It is very well made, but the top loading mechanism aspect limits the placement somewhat. I assumed that the new digital formats would be available soon, and in the mean time, I could really enjoy my CD library. Well, I am still enjoying the CD,s, and not in a hurry for a replacement.

Submitted by Fernando Lezama a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 9, 1997

Bottom Line:
An excellent option to obtain first class music reproduction, excellent build qualityand getting rid of jitter artifacts due to its integrated design.

On the plus side you get an almost analog reproduction, excellent dynamics and frequency response. (Don't forget proud of ownership!)
On the minus side there is an ugly remote control (why?), hard to read letter inscriptions in the front panel and it lacks some kind of protection to avoid the
CD clamp to get into the unit when taking in or out CDs.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile