Audio-Technica AT120E/T
Description: Dual Moving Magnet Cartridge<br> <li>Frequency Response: 15-25,000 Hz*</li> <li>Channel Separation: 25/20 (dB at 1 kHz/ 10 kHz)</li> <li>Tracking Force Range: 1.0-1.8 g</li> <li>Stylus Construction: Nude square shank</li> <li>Recommended Load Impedance: 47,000 ohms</li> <li>Output: 5.0 (mV at 1 kHz, 5 cm/sec)</li> <li>Channel Balance: 1.0 dB</li> <li>Stylus Shape: 0.3 x 0.7 mil elliptical</li> <li>Cantilever: Alloy tube</li> <li>Mount: 1/2"</li> <li>Replacement Stylus: ATN120E</li>

Submitted by Maciek a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2010

Bottom Line:
I bought this partly as an experiment to see if the sound on my old Dual cs504 could be further enhanced. Actually the latter is a better piece of kit than you might expect. I have had it for 31 years with a variety of cartridges, and it has never given me a problem, or required a service, just a couple of belt changes. I have had the Shure M95ed, the Grado Prestige Black and now the Audio Technica a120e. I think that the AT is the pick of the bunch, for not a huge outlay. Pick out the individual instruments in small classical ensembles or in Pink Floyd's More album. Listen to Beethoven's symphonies and you will be rewarded with an excellent involving sound. I would be very surprised if anyone could find a product that gave so much listening pleasure for so little cash.

Submitted by g3ueq a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2010

Bottom Line:
I ordered one of these a few days ago, to replace my AT-95E. My deck is a JVC Direct drive LF-66. Although I enjoy listening to LP's on a fairly regular basis, I was concerned that some of my Telarc direct cut disks I bought circa 1975-1979 never sounded quite right even though considerable time was spent setting tracking, offset etc. Yes, I know I should have gone and bought top of the range equipment from day one, but with a young family the costs were not justifiable. One particular Telarc recording, Tchaikovsky 1812, disc # DG-10041, recorded by the Cincinnati Sympphony Orchestra was particularly annoying because my setup just could not cope with the dynamic range of the cannon shots.
However, although only used for a few days, the AT-120E performs flawlessly on this recording, with no sign of mis-tracking. Hopefully I can now enjoy to a far greater degree these fine recordings.
I should mention I use a home made subwoofer with 14 feet of tuned pipe, that reproduces down to 16 Hz quite happily, it feels as if the cannon is in the room.