Yamamura Millenium Speaker Cables

4.91/5 (11 Reviews)

Submitted by Stingray a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2006

Bottom Line:
Well, i feel that my review is pretty late, looking at all those before, but hey, i don't have them that long yet. Yamamura was brought under my attention just 2 years ago and it was predicted to a very good cable, especially when using Tube amplification.

Before that, my system was performing very well on the XLO Reference speaker cable, a very realistic and fast cable. Beautiful sounding on voices, and all other acoustical source with plenty of micro detail in it.

So i had my doubts, if the Yamamura cable really would be so much better sounding than other cables i had been listening to. Besides that, it appeared that the Yamamura is not often seen on the 2nd hand market and due to the production years ended a long time ago, they are really hard to get.

I got myself advised by someone driving a Audio Company in the Netherlands, that Cardas Golden Cross would be the cable to go for, specifically in my set, with the Manley Stingray integrated tube amplifier and Audio Physic Tempo speakers, supported by the Yamamura bearings under them (which made a hell of a differende, but man....dont touch it, they really are balanced out on 3 very small steel balls)

At that time, looking around for the Cardas Golden Cross, i hit a YAMA Internet search ending up in UK at a former Yamamura dealer, just having one set of the Millenium 4000 speaker cable left, never used with the original protecting pewter still intact on the spades.

So i had to decide to take the risk, getting these cables to the Netherlands and eventually find out that the cult thing around Yamamura is not backed by the quality of the product. So i feared my first HiFi disaster coming up.

I received the well packed cable shortly after my payment and opened it with the idea that i finally owned a Yamamura Millenium 4000 Spkr cable set, of which i really was unaware of its performance other than was told me by Audio experts.

Given the exellent performance of the XLO's i had my expectations set low for the Yamamuras, especially because the first period these cables needed to burn in before their performance could be judged properly.

To my very surprise, directly from the start the Yamamura cables opened a soundstage i was not aware of, my system could present !

Details flowed around in spades, in front and depth without becoming too analytical, i must confess that the richness of detail and air was so astounishing that i felt myself sitting with a smile swapping music and listening for hours till late at night to all kinds of acoustical adventures. I noticed that i rediscovered my music.

This even got better after weeks when the cables developed their reallly musical character while buring in. Sometimes i swapped them with the XLO's to understand if i wasnt building up a pre-occupation for the Yamamuras but noticed, though still a very strong and fast cable, the XLO was not able to open that soundstage with the same width as the Yamamuras did.

Still i have not said farewell to the XLO. Maybe to keep them as a source of reference, maybe to use them to compare with the outstanding quality of the yamamuras, i dont know. Sometimes i swap them, but just long enough to have the XLO living up again, an understand that i miss the soundstage of the Yamamuras....

What the effect is of the Yamamuras, is that i still look around for it, especially for the M5000 or M6000 interconnect RCA, and understand that this product has been produced to the extreme with care and insight.
I cannot recommend it better. They may have been bypassed by other (much more exotic/expensive) cables, but where music and emotion matters, they are allright for me !

Still looking for Yamas,
Aad

Purchased At:   UK, by Internet as D

Submitted by Jimmydaves a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2002

Bottom Line:
I used these cables in my system for approximately 2 months. I have to say that I was "wowed" by them from the very beginning. However, as time went on, I began to notice some slight shortcomings compared to other reference cables that I've used in the past.

At the time, I was using these cables in an all Classe Audio system with Vandersteen and Martin Logan as my speakers of choice.

I felt these cables were very good, but not great, especially considering the competition at the same price. Other offerings from the cable companies listed below all had less expensive cables that could match or exceed the performance of this cable.

Having said that, these cables certainly had me listening for many hours a day and were a pleasure to audition. They can easily tame an overly bright system, but I don't feel that that's the job that a cable is supposed to do. These cables' overly warm presentation in an already warm sounding system was basically a disaster - dull, lifeless, closed in. But, in a neutral or bright sounding system, their "sound" could be an advantage by compensating for the front ends tone. In my system, there were times I thought I was listening to an all tube front end which sounded wonderful, if not overly euphonic or inaccurate.

Detail and transparency were excellent but not at the reference level you would expect at this price. Simply too expensive.

They compare favorably with Cardas Golden Reference, but I feel that Cardas has the edge in the bass and also being more detailed. Kimber also has more detail, but also has a more leaner sound.

Submitted by yves a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2002

Bottom Line:
I am using M-6000,M-4000 balanced & M-4000 speaker cables.I am looking for a PC on the used market.Those cables are the best as far as my system is concern:ARC LS-2B,ARC VT-100 & ML Aerius i.

Submitted by Des Lexter a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2001

Bottom Line:
These cables are a revelation. they combine the fullness
of the wireworlds and the detail of the nordost with a very liquid sounding midrange and delicate extended highs. Bass power is not as powerful as the XL's but hey that is 3 times the cost.

The Millenium 6000 is considerably better and more natural sounding than the 4000 and quantum series but genrally share the same musical traits.
The BEST spkr cable I have found that suits both tube and SS applications.I really cant praise these cables enough.

Just try them, you might feel the holy grail is here.

Submitted by Andy a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2001

Bottom Line:
These cables allow my system to come alive with a sense of realism I did not experience with other cables. Images seem to float on a slient black background surrounded by a cushion of air. They provide a great deal of detail without being the slightest bit etched. Beautiful, very correct sounding midrange, liquid highs and very even bass response. They are fast sounding without being "zippy". Again, musically correct, not hi-fi. Never overly forward or in your face but by no means excessively relaxed or distant sounding. Other cables may have certain strengths but I have not used any other cables that allow my system to sound as coherant and musically correct.
The Wireworld Silver Eclipse seem to have slightly deeper bass response (excessive and too warm in my system) but sound far less open, airy and detailed. Cardas Golden Cross was too slow, warm and recessed in my system for my taste. Transparent Super was very bright, forward, etched with a very noticable suckout from the midbass down. Each time I put the Yamamura cables back in my system their strengths became more and more obvious. While these cables are rather expensive the effect they can have in the right system are dramatic. They truly bring out the best in my system.I can't recommend these cables highly enough.

My system consists of:

Millenium 4000 - Interconnect - Preamp to Amps
Millenium 6000 - Speaker cable
Yamamura Digital AC cord - DAC
Wireworld Gold Starlight - Transport - DAC

I have also used Millenium 3000 speaker cable and it too is excellent if at its price point however it is slightly harsh sounding and lean when compared to the much more refined sounding 6000 which is in an entirely different league. To my suprise, the digital AC cord (the model escapes me) provided and obvious improvement in speed, detail and a lowering of the noise floor.