Wire World Equinox III+ Interconnects - Pair Speaker Cables

Submitted by Bill a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2002

Bottom Line:
As far as I am concerned, an outstanding product. Not a flashy looking cable, compared to others in this price range, and a little on the thin side physically, but its the sonics that count, right? These 1M lengths replaced the 1M length of Monster M850i between my SACD player and my preamp. I'm not here to bash Monster -- I use Z2 Reference speaker cables and have found them to be outstanding, especially for the price. The M850i was a very warm, lush, full-bodied cable. If your equipment errs towards the bright side, I would recommend it. Nontheless, I did fairly extensive A/B demoing between the M850i and the Equinox III+, and found that I preferred the Equinox by quite a margin. Cymbals had longer decay, and sounded slightly more realistic and forward than with the Monsters. The bass was slightly more articulate, and even if it didn't have the same "impact" that the Monsters provided the Equinox certainly didn't sound thin. The magic of this cable, though, is the midrange. I listened to several tracks on Natalie Merchant's "Ophelia" disc, and was knocked out: smooth, natural, yet extremely articulate and detailed. Outstanding.

I also compared the Equinox III+ to WireWorld's Oasis III+ cables. The Equinox won this battle hands down as well. The Oasis' highs were just about as good as the Equinox, in my opinion. The bass was articulate as well, but with the Oasis I seemed to lose some impact in the lower registers. The midrange, the strength of the Equinox, was slightly smoothed out on the Oasis cables. It sounded clear and crisp, but Natalie's voice was less detailed and less nuanced; in being less detailed, lost some of its emotive strength.

In all, I cannot recommend the Equinox III+ enough. I realize that it costs more than twice the amount of the other cables I compared it to, but I feel that the price is worth it. Between the Oasis III+ and the Monster M850i, its more of a toss-up.

Purchased At:   Audio Advisor

Submitted by orlysent a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
Practically transformed my system. Very detailed, high resolution. One of a series of recent equipment changes and additions that have brought me closer to complete reproduced musical enjoynment. Neutral and natural sounding, outperfomed previously used XLO and TaraLabs Reference interconnects. The level of detail of this cable is amazing, with good speed and great dynamics. I also adquired in the same purchase WW Atlantis III speaker cable. These cleaned and solidified the stage. Though the EquinoxIII+ made a bigger improvement in the overall music presentation, the inprovements made by the atlantis(speaker cab.) were by no means small. Both cables have a common sonic signature of the neutral and detailed kind, whith the atlantis augmenting (in a smaller scale)the virtues brought by the equinox III, but contributing with clearer microdynamics contrasts and their major contribution: speed. After connecting them (directly out of the box)I loaded the cd tray with an also resently adquired VoxBox disc of an Alfred Brendel complete cycle of Beethoven Piano Concertos. I selected the last one (glorious Piano Concerto#5) and set to listen, fingers crossed. From the opening to the last movement the only thing that kept coming to my mind was, "these cables know the tune". Speed gave me a sense of rythm that added an hour to my already late go to bed time. I think that wireworld have done an outstanding job, that in my system was traduced more in an act of adding a musical instrument than in adding some crude piece of wire. Great musical instruments those two. Bravo!
Equipment: