Van den Hul The Second Speaker Cables

4.4/5 (15 Reviews)

Interconnect cables

Submitted by Amir a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2005

Bottom Line:
This cable need over 100 hours for burning. sound is so polite at first but just wait.
This cable is good for solidstate and digital source.for tubes you should match it with your system.I connected it between accuphase cdplayer and krell power amplifier with dynaudio speakers.
this cable changed the sound more than i expected because it make sound very natural and unforce at mid and high.solid sound of krell and digital signature of sound change to very analog like sound. it render the sound with ease and give you human like sound

Purchased At:   iran

Submitted by olsonkev a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2004

Bottom Line:
I love them and do not understand why others rated them so low. They are certainly not the best out there but are without a doubt fantastic ICs for the money.

Used with:

All Legacy-Audio speakers
Sony NS999ES DVD/SACD
Anthem AVM20
Anthem PVA7

Submitted by macone a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2004

Bottom Line:
First off,it may be a tad unfair for me to review these cables after moving up(to XLO Reference),but I have done alot of listening around lately,hence the change in perspective.
Those with Solid State systems will find these to be a fine match in a mid-priced set up.Tube folks,like myself,may find them a bit of a disapointment.
The main reason is the lack of extension they provide,mainly in high frequencies(but also in low-end,but not to the same degree).
Most solid state amps are way too bright.Most people wrongly equate this "brightness" with "detail"....and lots of folks wonder why they suffer from listening fatigue.It's the harshness of solid state highs that are giving them the headaches,literally.These cables can tame those highs,with very little loss of (real) detail.
That said,the mids are pretty damn fine,and the sound is generally quite open,tho i wouldn't call it tranparent.
For that reason,unlike a few other reviewers have said,these are some of the more forgiving I have heard,meaning they are less likely to expose system faults.
Tube amp users will most likely find these cables way too soft....very warm and fuzzy(tho not really fuzzy,just soft at both ends).
Extreme high-end SS users may not like them either,as thier equipment comes closer to warmer sounding tubes.....but then they wouldn't be shopping in this price range,cuz these are not expensive.They are great value,and rival many of equal price,but have limitations.
Used with>>>
Racked on granite.

Purchased At:   executive stereo TO

Submitted by Hinderink a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2003

Bottom Line:
Directly after purchasing a Rotel pre-amp and power amp, I bought the v.d.Hul The Second interlink to connect the amps.
I used them for about 6 months and all the time I was unhappy about my system.
First, I thought the Rotels were the reason of my unhappiness, but only recently I became aware that the The Second interlink was the reason.
I could not change the interlink in the store where I bought it, but an other store was willing to change it with a v.d. Hull Integration Hybrid (which has the same price). Now, I am happy. I installed another Integration Hybrid interlink between my phono pre-amp and Rotel pre-amp. A siltech remains my favorite to connect my SACD player.

Purchased At:   Tilburg

Submitted by Volker McDonough a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2001

Bottom Line:
After discussing with my friend (owner of the a.m. HiFi Shop), we decided to give it a try, changing all my cables to one manufacturer. As my loudspeaker cables are already vdH Magnum Hybrid, I choosed The Second as (unbalanced) connectors between my tube Pre- and Main Amps. Before this, changing cables to improve sound quality sounded more like voodoo to me but after using The Second, I am really amazed.

Gone are the light hums coming out of my speakers every time my system was switched on and running. Also gone are noises sometimes I switched my gear off.
This cable works only as a link and does not add any sound to your system. Your music comes alive with this fine cable, showing very good rhythm, low accurate bass and high musicality combined with a very deep soundstage; different to other cables, even at low volume levels. I tried it also between my CD-player and Pre-Amp but here, I prefer vdH The First. I guess, maybe it's shielded character has something to do with the lesser transparency I heard.

Equipment used:
Cayin SC6L Single ended tube Pre
Cayin 9021 DEX Single ended tube Mains
Cary Audio CD 303 CD-Player
B&W CDM 1SE
vdH Magnum Hybrid, -The First, -The Second

Purchased At:   HiFi Studio Belzer (Saarlouis, Germany)

Seeing Pinback tonight for the second time. On deck: Richard Thompson

On this ominous date, I'm quite happy to see Pinback again, and at a much nicer venue than the first time. While the Underground Arts has some charm, it is, after all, a basement. Tonight's show is at the beautiful Union Transfer, which is only a couple blocks from Underground Arts. I've never seen ... Read More »

Libertines blow the lid off with s/t second effort

Even completely dismissing Mick Jones' hyperbole this album rockz and rollz. Are they destined to be the Clash for this generation's rockers? Who really knows (or cares) but it's nice to know that someone thinks there are enough rockers in the younger generation to even offer up such suggestions. ... Read More »