Transparent Audio Reference 75 Ohm Digital Link Speaker Cables

polished OFHC center conductor is surrounded by proprietary air/spiral teflon insulation

Submitted by Greg a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
I was skeptical that the selection of a digital interconnect cable would make a sonic difference as
bits are bits. Right? My wallet wishes this was true. The cable in question was being used to connect a Proceed
Modular Digital Transport (PMDT) to a Meridian 861 Surround Processor. The Silver Serpent provided good detail and
depth, but was outclassed by the Transparent Premium which had improved transparency, detail, and sounded more natural
overall. After connecting the Transparent Reference cable it seemed as if I was listening to a different system.
The soundstage opened up dramatically, the level of detail was astounding and more "airy", everything sounded more
natural. Going to the Reference Cable was more than an incremental improvement, it was in a totally new class.
I listened to DVD after DVD and was addicted to the new
level of "liveness". I was reluctant to return the loaner
Reference Cable and go back to the Premium, but it only took a week to receive the new cable and I've been revelling
in the new sound of my home theater system ever since. It
does, however, take a couple weeks to break in a new cable, but that's to be expected. If you have a reference
quality system, try the Transparent Reference Cable and hear the difference. Highly recommended.

System:

Proceed Modular Digital Transport DVD Player
Meridian 861 Surround Controller
Mark Levinson No. 32 Preamp
Mark Levinson No. 30.6 DAC
Mark Levinson No. 31.5 CD Transport
Mark Levinson No. 33 Amps (L, R, C)
Proceed HPA-3 Amp (Surrounds)
Speakers: Revel Ultima Gems (L, R), Voice (C), Embraces (Surrounds), and Sub-15/LE-1 (Sub)
Transparent Reference AES/EBU 110 Ohm Digital Link
Transparent Reference XL Balanced (XLR) Interconncts
Transparent Reference Bi-cable Speaker Cable (L, R)
Transparent Ultra Bi-cable Speaker Cable (C)
Transparent In-wall Ultra Speaker Cable (Surrounds)

Purchased At:   The Audible Difference

Submitted by Brian a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2001

Bottom Line:
I left out an important part of my review below:
Equipment: NAD 512 CD Player, Transparent Premium Digital cable, Golden Theater GTX-1, Transparent Music Link interconnects, Monarchy SE-100 deluxe mono blocks, Nordost Solar Winds shotgunned to Magnepan MMGs. B&W, NAD, DH Labs on rear speakers, no center channel. I chose a home-made cable ($110) for my Digital Cable Radio since it was better than the other cables that I heard for the price.

Submitted by Brian a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2001

Bottom Line:
I tried various 75 Ohm RCA cables figuring that a digital cable would make much less difference in the sound than analog cables. I could not imagine hearing differences in digital cables. I borrowed a Transparent digital cable from Stereo Design and I asked to try the top of the line one too, just to see what I might aspire to one day when I had more money in case it made a difference. I listened to various cables and as I recall, there were some differences. But when I tried the Transparent Premium, it made my stereo sound like a much better system than it did before. I had to have this cable which cost 2-4 times as much as I had planned on spending for a cable for my CD player. My wife agreed. I think that it made more difference in my sound than any other component except maybe the change from box to planar speakers. I highly recommend auditioning this product.

Purchased At:   Stereo Design