Tara Labs Prism Omni Speaker Cable Speaker Cables

3.67/5 (12 Reviews)

Available in Bulk, 16 gage

Submitted by Matt Irmscher a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have this cable on my second system. It was a big improvement over the lamp cord that I was using. I know alot of people say that there is no difference in cables. I was in the middle, but now I am starting to lean a little!
I connected the Omni cables and the Prism 11 interconnects that I bought at the same time! The music became clearer! It was like opening the window! Really!
This is a great cable for the price ($1.00 foot)
System:
Philips 940 DVD/CD player
Kenwood Basic M-1 AMp
Kenwood Basic C-1 Pre-amp
Infinity RS-3 Speakers

Submitted by Anthony Green a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2000

Bottom Line:
For a relatively inexpensive speaker cable the Omni is not all that bad, but not perfect. However, it certainly outperforms any cables I've used up to and including its price.

The only problem is that the cables are very stiff. The construction uses several low gauge strands of copper bundled together, and whilst this is sonically superior to both fine multi-strand and simple single strand cables, it is difficult to make a really solid mechanical connection to the amp output terminals & speaker input terminals.

If you are using the Omni, best results are obtained by soldering a good pair of spade connectors (WBT or Kimber) to the amp ends, and using tight banana plugs or soldering spade connectors to the speaker ends. Don't even think about just crimping the bare wires into binding post holes - the mechanical connection is terrible due to the stiffness of the cable.

I'd agree in general with the perception that these cables are best suited to an otherwise bright, forward system.

Submitted by Markus a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2000

Bottom Line:
This cable was sold to me as neutral and allround. I guess people with a too bright sounding system could like it, but with a well balanced amp and cd-player (which I belive I have...)I have problems standing the held back sound of this cable. I know use ordinary cheap copper wire instead, though this cable lacks in bass and tightness.

"This cable simply doesn't sing!"

Submitted by Craig a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2000

Bottom Line:
I did not notice any improvement sonicaly over the other cables that I was using. But the main problem is that the wire is so stiff. This makes it difficult to get a good clampling when using the binding post and its almost impossible to get a good grip using screw on banana plugs as the wire constantly slips out. Because I did notice any impovements and the unfriendly nature of the cable I would not recommend it. The Clara is much better buy.

Submitted by Ken a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2000

Bottom Line:
Before the Omni, I used a pair of cheap speaker cables to connect (single-run) my Nakamichi AV-10 to Mission 771.

Using the Omni to biwire the speakers, the sound does improve by revealing higher level of clarity and details of music.

For US$90 (around $5.5/ft), I'm quite satisfied with the performanace it brings to my system.

Award-Winning Axiom: