Supra Ply 3.4 Speaker Cables

4.39/5 (23 Reviews)

Simplistic fat conductors’ rising impedance (due to L) of +6dB/octave is further raised by internal eddy currents causing ’Skin effect’, like ’the square root of inductance’, adding. +3dB/oct, to the L-reactance slope. For typical cable runs, nett inductivity is such that performance in heavy plain conductors is measurably affected with steady signals just above 1kHz.

Submitted by Vince Parkin a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2013

Bottom Line:
I've tried various cables in my second system - Ixos, Telluim Q, QED XT400 and a few others to boot, but this Supra Ply 3.4s is the best. I've got some pretty expensive speaker cable in my main system and I've tried it in my second system and the Supra can still hold it's head high. At the price of £9 a metre it's stonking value for the performance you get and mine has only been for a couple of days, so it's only going to get better. Apart from my main system cable the bass, mids and treble are all superb and unbelievable at low volume listening at night. At low levels it loses nothing except volume and at normal levels the bass is lovely and meaty whilst remaining tight as a fishes backside. The mids are lovely and clear with excellant natural timbre, and female voices are superb. The treble is nice and extended without ever sounding forced or overbright, with lovely detail. My second system is not cheap but this Supra really does it justice and rewards all the hard work I've put into it over the years. Buy with confidence as I really do think that Supra has got a bit of a giant killer here. ps, I very rarely review gear, so it goes to show highly I rate it.

Submitted by dash141 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2012

Bottom Line:
My system has been sounding quite bright and tiring especially over long listening hours. I was about to replace my amplifier until someone advised me to try those Supra PLY 3.4. Boy what a difference it made. My system sound amazingly good and full of life. I am hearing details thinking its coming from next door!!! Bass is still present and tighter than before. The funny thing is that the cable still need to burn-in which will be even better in a few weeks. Silver plated copper can sound very harsh over metal dome tweeters which was my issue, thanks to Supra PLY 3.4 that issue is now history and I can start digging my old record and enjoying my hard earned system. My amp is def to stay NOW!!!

Submitted by Gie Thijs a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2011

Bottom Line:
I was one of these sceptics who looked rather contemptuously on high end discussions as to the quality of cables and interlinks. When I upgraded to a Myryad amplifier and JMLab Profile 918 speakers, I got the opportunity to link my gear with these Supra cables and, heavens, what a difference in sound. Until recently I used standard 2.5mm cobra cable (copper), but the Supra got the music really singing. The main gain was in the upper register (the Supra Ply 3.4 was even a bit less forward with the deep basses) - the stereo spread and the presence of the musicians improved siginificantly !
After playing my stero gear for some weeks, this sound picture improved even more. A short test (I reconnected the standard cables for a day or two) made the Supra cable stand out even more.
Cables do make a difference (although it can't always be measured !) , and this one brought music really to life. You need'nt look further to cables which cost ten times as much ! This one does a hell of a job.

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by nelson a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2010

Bottom Line:
Ihave Supra Ply 3.4 speaker calbes and I like it. They are much beter ahan many many expensive cable overall.
Sound is accurate and musical.

Submitted by August Karlstrom a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2010

Bottom Line:
This cable did not work very well in my system (see below).

This is a review of the screened version: Supra Ply 3.4/S. I have tried the cable both with and without the screen being attatched to ground but I have not been able to hear a difference. The sound with this cable in my system is big and soft with a sound stage that is both wide and deep. It also sounds a bit like the sound is embedded in cotton and definition of and space between instruments is a bit lacking. The presentation also sounds a bit "processed" and acoustic instruments are not reproduced with the right naturalness. Some speed and attack is missing as well. My main objection, however, is the rolled off treble making it sound like a blanket was put on high-hats and cymbals.

These are my impressions of what the cable sounds like in my system. If you have a system which is on the bright or aggressive side of neutral this cable may very well be the solution. It is also my experience that some combinations of loudspeakers and amplifiers are not as loudspeaker cable sensitive as my system seems to be.

The cable I am using now is Kimber 8PR (terminated with Kimbers own banana plugs). This cable works very well in my system.

-My setup-

Source: Mac Mini