Sumiko OCOS Speaker Cables

4.75/5 (4 Reviews)

(See reviews)

Submitted by George a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2000

Bottom Line:
There are better cables out there, but few at this price level with anywhere near the combinations of strenghts. Sonically, very good to excellent. It is very clean sounding and doesn't seem to add any major colorations to the sound. Don't be fooled by price. This cable can be used in systems costing $20,000 to $40,000 with little compromise. Just as importantly, OCOS is a user friendly cable. It's very well constructed, small in diameter and fairly flexible. Others have commented that the bass is soft. This can be addressed by doing a double run of cable to the bass terminals. I have used this cable for nearly four years and I have been tempted to ugrade to any number of $2,500+ cables. However, when I listen, some of the other cables are a little more open, have a little better bass, a little more detail, etc., but the differences are not very great. Superb value.

Submitted by Ed a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 5, 1999

Bottom Line:
I used to own a biwirable pair of OCOS cables which was powered by Cyrus 3 PSX-R& later Krell KAV300i. The speakers were B&W 604s. CD player changed from
Arcam Alpha 5+ & Audio Alchemy DDEv1.1 (powerstation) to Sony XA50ES. Interconnects were VDH The First.

The OCOS were very good, though in my set up, it's hi frew transparency provoked
some glare in the B&W metal dome tweeters. Bass was very good. It was deep &
extended though it was marginally improved when I replaced the OCOS with
Transparent Music Wave Super cables.

Overall, I would rate OCOS a 4 stars (in absolute terms) & 5 stars in terms of
sonic value for money.

Submitted by ken a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 7, 1997

Bottom Line:
The ocos wire works wonderfully with my sonus fabre extremas. I tried this wire based on the suggestion of sumiko and other sonus fabre users. It is the only wire for these speakers I would use at any cost. The soundstage just blew out the walls, the speakers just dissapear. They could charge much more for this wire. I also would run 3 parallel runs and do not bi-wire. The bass comes right in with this setup. The treble is unbelievable. I use 2 classe ca300's and the new wadia 860 with no preamp. I use cardas golden cross balanced interconnects. This wire can sound crappy with other speakers. Something about the dynaudio esotar mates well with ocos.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile

Submitted by Mark Newsom a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 19, 1997

Bottom Line:
Dear Audio Amigos & Amoebas:
Don't monkey around with any speaker cable under $500.00(and beats alot
beyond that price range)other than OCOS distributed by Sumiko. This stuff
is killer! It is really neutral and clean, the best I heard thru my
experience. The only slight drawback is a little lack of bass, but other
than that, its awesome! you will be impressed. Try it, you can usually get
a 10 ft run used for around $125-175.00. I hated going thru the speaker
cable of the month club trying to find something I liked. With OCOS I
stopped,I am out of that loop, I am done with speaker cable for the rest
of my life.

Outbursting with OCOS

Now just trying to figure out interconnects........now back to the
loop....lets see. Cardas?, Wireworld?....thats another story...I gotta
find me another hobby,.............a CHEAP hobby!.

SFLAT: