Pure Silver Sound Octet Speaker Cable Speaker Cables

Speaker cables

Submitted by EbayPolice a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2006

Bottom Line:
I finally decided to go whole hog and try the Octet speaker cables Frank makes. I have had his Quartet inteconnects for awhile. He told me to first try the interconnects to see if i liked the sound,and it was the most bang for the buck (imagine that, selling me something less expensive). The interconnects were great so I went for the Octets. They were replacing my Analysis Plus - Silver Ovals (the older ones, not the new 9 gauge one). Right away I noticed the better imaging and wider soundstage. the highs were very clear, but have gottne even clearer over time. The bass is about the same, but maybe a little tighter. But it is the mids and highs that have me sold, the are much smoother with the full silver instead of the silver plated copper I had. Thanks Frank for a great cable (that I can afford).

Purchased At:   www.puresilversound.

Submitted by Vincent Quek a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2001

Bottom Line:
I was actually looking for a Kimber 4AG or 8AG buit it seem like kimber's not keen to sell them any more. I found Pure silver Sound on the net and decide to try it out. since it is very much cheaper than Kimber.

To my surprise, not only it produce outstanding mid,hi like most silver cable do. It reproduce a bass reponse way beyond my expectation. It out beat my kimber 8TC totally except may be the lower 500Hz. But I doubt you can tell without the most sensitive ears on this planet. The Pure Silver Sound can make you feel the lower 20 Hz already.

What a good buy. Thank you, Frank, for produce such a good cable.

My system:

CD transport: Metronome T1-i
DAC: Sonic frontier SFD-2 (Upgrade to mk3 by sonic frontier)
Pre-amp: Ayre K1x
Power Amp: Pass Labs X-600
Speaker: Merlin VSM, Home brewed Dynaudio(BEST I CAN FIND).
Interconnect: All XLO signature 2.1, ST optical CD to DAC.
Speaker cable : XLO Signature 5.1, Kimer 8TC, Pure Silver Sound Octet.

Purchased At:   Pure Silver Sound

Submitted by Joe Pipash a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2001

Bottom Line:
I decided to buy these bi-wire cables when I got the quartets. I had Frank make them as 2 seperate runs, incase I ever get the itch to bi-amp in the future. I had tried the Analysis plus Silver oval speaker cables (and the interconnects too), but silver plated copper isn’t for me. And the price! Agh!, $1637 versus $889 for the pure silver. I wanted to see (Hear) what my system would sound like with all silver. Well as far as I can tell I am done buying cables. The Bass with the Octets is tight and plentiful. On the Dave Brubeck “Time Out” re-master I can hear all of the bass passage that used to sound muddy to me. On Dave’s True Story (Sex without bodies) the bass passages are incredible, I fell like I am sitting in the church with the band. The highs are sweet and smooth and the imaging is superb. You can’t beat these for the sound or for the price. I have a friend who has the same bi-wire speaker cable setup with the older kimber silver speaker cables, which ran him $4200! I would put mine up against his any day.

Current System (for a long time I hope)

Musical Fidelity - A3CD CD Player
Musical Fidelity - Nuvista M3 Integrated Amplifier
Silver Line Audio – Sonatina speakers
Pure Silver Sound – Quartet interconnects
Pure Silver Sound – Octet speaker cables

Purchased At:   www.puresilversound.com

Submitted by Bob a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2000

Bottom Line:
A very suprising speaker cable. I read most of the reviews on this board, and based on them, I thought I would give them a try. Initially, they sounded pretty good. Over the next few days, they bloomed and filled in. Vocals are very realistic, cymbals are very clear and have that shimmer of the real thing. The bass wasn't very full initially, but became more dynamic and detailed over the next few weeks. I think they're still improving, even after a couple of months.

There are times when I'm not really listening to the system, and something will be playing that will grab my attention. It's almost involuntary. At other times, I can almost feel the soul of the performer (sorry for the bombast). It's quite an amazing experience.

One of my objectives with these cables was that I didn't want to lose the dynamic sound of my system. These cables didn't hurt, and may have helped with this.

My electronics are: Krell KRC-2, KSA-150, Sony's first DVD player (not sure what the model is), and Nelson-Reed 8-04c speakers with subwoofer. I also recently (prior to buying these cables) bought a PS-Audio Power Plant. It provides power to the pre-amp, amp, DVD player, and crossover. Also an exceptional product.

I bought a bi-wire set of the cables. The Midnights I owned before this were the same configuration. So I thought I would continue that trend with the Octets.

Overall, a very impressive cable. Highly recommended.

Purchased At:   direct from manufacturer

Submitted by Paul a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2000

Bottom Line:
Having spent mucho dinero on equipment over the past year (meridian DAC, silver bullet 4 IC, CJ 12A pre amp, DH labs IC (11 ft!), classe 201 amp, REL stadium sub, and magnaplanar 1.6 speakers) I decided to play around with the speaker cables, first by replacing my trusty (and much loved) DH labs cables with homemade CAT 5 cables (see disscussions at audioasylum.com) and then after my amp got too hot, with the highly regarded analysis plus Oval 12 cables. The latter convinced me that cables do make a big diffreence but I could not decide between the a-plus and the dhlabs (i could not stop switching them). In the end I decided that neither would do. After reaserching on the internet and reading the reviews here on the PSS sextet cables, I purchased 6 ft of the octet biwire cables half thinking that I might have to send these back too.

Immediately I was very happy, and now three months later, I am still extremely pleased. I am finally satisfied with my system and have not thought about eqipment for months now. I now spend my time listening to music and not agonizing over equipment!

In my system these cables made eveything right, bass is controlled and full, mid and treble are detailed and natural without being bright or harsh. Soundstage is improved with the music extending beyond the edges of the speakers: with my maggies spaced about 5-6 ft apart I now have a "wall of sound", ie, the speakers have disappeared more than ever before. Any way that's all in my system -- I can't tell you what difference these cables will make in yours but highly recommnend that you consider (and evaluate at home) the octets if shopping for similarily or higher priced cables.

Purchased At:   direct from PSS